Should I wait until Macworld to buy 24" iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrPineapples, Dec 12, 2006.

1. MrPineapples macrumors member

MrPineapples

I'm going to buy a new Mac & have decided on the 24" iMac, Do you think it's worth the wait, what are the chances of an upgrade?

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Very slim chances of an update next year. GO for it now, or wait until mid/end of 2007

3. Queso macrumors G4

I was wondering whether we may get a modified form factor for the iMac at MWSF, since it'll be one year since it went Intel. Apple wanted to keep the form factor the same during the Intel migration to reinforce that it was the same machine, but with that now over anything's possible.

I still think it'll be C2D based though. Probably with a few enhancements such as a Blu-Ray option and better graphics.

Up to you really, although the 24" iMac would win me over if I were in your position.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I can't recall hearing of any rumoured updates – if you can afford to wait on a month or so then it might be worth waiting on the off chance that something is announced, but if you're keen to get your hands on the iMac then you may as well go for it now.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Whilst updates to the iMac might not be likely a release date for Leopard is probable (meaning you'd get a free upgrade if you bought after MWSF) and iLife '07 is almost guaranteed (meaning another free upgrade). If you don't need it now I'd wait just for the software.

Edit to add: according to forums that was my 5000th post :D

6. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Precisely - go for the software update if you can wait, which will save 80 bucks or so :)

7. MrPineapples thread starter macrumors member

MrPineapples

My G4 iMac's just packed in so I could do with it soonish, I'm having to borrow to pay for it, but it's a tool so I can justify it. I can use my PowerMac at work but that limits me to my lunch hour to get any freelance work done.

So odds aren't high for even a speed bump at MacWorld?

Also does anyone know the best place to buy in the UK, any rebates or freebies?

8. NJuul macrumors 6502

Sounds like you need it, so buy it. However, if you don't reeeaally need it, I too would suggest that you wait for MWSF, it's just around the corner, and who knows, maybe a speed bump will be introduced. But if not, the software alone (iLife) is worth the wait in my oppinion.

Unfortunately, I don't think that there are any rebates or discounts available, except for the student discount, which I'm guessing you don't qualify for...

9. MrPineapples thread starter macrumors member

MrPineapples

Ahhh but my girlfriend does ;)

10. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I'm playing it safe and just wait the few weeks (it's not like it's months away) for MWSF and see how to play out my very first mac purchase ever
    I can't wait till I get enough money for the purchase. Maybe MWSF will shed some light on just how far my dollar will stretch by just waiting a few more weeks.

11. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

interesting point. i think Apple is still in the middle of a transition and will be for up to a year longer. i don't think a form change is out of the question, though, because i think Apple is not afraid to attract more people with a new design, if that's what they have in store. the MBs were quite radical when they were introduced - especially the black one - and people jumped all over those.

to the OP: i think now is a great time to buy an iMac.