Should I Wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by candyapple8, Dec 15, 2005.

  1. candyapple8 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2005
    #1
    I am asking my parents for a 12" iBook for Christmas, but I keep hearing all these things about new Intel - Apple computers coming out next year. Should I wait for these? Or do you think the first shipment would still be too buggy to tell? TIA.
     
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #2
    The average user won't be able to tell the difference (unless they're buggy). Without bringing my crystal ball down from the top shelf, I'd say you'd be happy with a new Mac now. :)
     
  3. doucy2 macrumors 65816

    doucy2

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2005
    #3
    i'm wait until after x-mas, actually a little into january to get my ibook (just waiting to see what comes out)

    although you prob wont be able to tell the difference, minor changes probally
     
  4. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #4
    Should you wait is hard to say- will the iBooks with Intel processors be faster? Yes. But I find my 12" iBook with a 1.33GHz PowerPC G4 processor to be pretty speedy for most tasks.

    Will the first revision of "Mactel" iBooks be buggy? Some are bound to have a few flaws, but I am sure Apple will do their best to provide a sound product.

    If you can wait till the new iBooks come out then maybe you should, but the thought of being able to use Mac OS now would probably be a turning point for me. :)
     
  5. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #5
    Just another thought, going for 1GB+ of RAM would be highly recommended (regardless of which iBook you decide to go with). Mac OS X is best run with a lot of RAM. Not that 512MB of RAM will result in Mac OS being slow, its just that the more RAM the merrier. :)
     
  6. macEfan macrumors 65816

    macEfan

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2005
    Location:
    Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    #6
    I would wait for the intels to come out...the older model will see a nice price drop :)
     
  7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #7

    True, but when is the point you stop waiting?

    I think the change to Intel chips will mean updates/upgrades more often so that unless you're iGary, you're guarantied to be out of date.
     
  8. lind0834 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2003
    #8
    Wait.

    I say wait until MacWorld. If something great is announced or released jump on it. If nothing great is announced or release, place the order for the iBook that day, you only waited 3 weeks. I would say it's worth the wait at this point.
     
  9. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #9
    While there will be a price drop, I do not suspect it to be very substantial. How much do you really think the price is going to drop $100...$200 tops.
     
  10. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

    FadeToBlack

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2005
    Location:
    Accoville, WV
    #10
    I'll echo what some of the others have been saying and tell you to wait 'til MacWorld. It's hard to tell what may be announced with all of the rumors floating around. It could be something VERY cool, so definitely wait and see.
     
  11. EGT macrumors 68000

    EGT

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2003
  12. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

    NewbieNerd

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2005
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #12
    I would certainly second (or fifth or sixth, whatever it is now :p) the idea of waiting, but your parents are waiting this long to buy the iBook? You guys know Christmas is just a week and a half away right?! Way to keep them parents whipped. ;)
     
  13. candyapple8 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2005
    #13
    lol. I'm a picky girl, what can I say?

    Thanks for everyone's advice. I'll wait til MacWorld (when is it? Jan 9ish?) to see what's up. I hope I can wait that long :rolleyes:

    O/T: Does anyone have a ipod video? How do they like it? I have a ipod mini (1st gen) and wanted to upgrade. But i'll still be keeping my mini. I love it.
     
  14. moonislune macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    #14
    Wait for Intel

    I would wait for one reason only....In January, the hottest computers on the market will undoubtably continue to be Macs, because they will be able to do one thing that no beige box pc can do (reliably and legally) - run both Winblows and Mac OSX. Get a new ibook that can run both OSes (with the intel chip) and you'll be very very pleased in the long run....or if you wait and decide not to buy the new Ibook, I guarantee a lot of Macophiles will be selling their old PPC only Ibooks on ebay.
     
  15. EGT macrumors 68000

    EGT

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2003
    #15
    25 days, 13 hours and 1 minute from ... NOW.
     
  16. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #16
    I myself only have an iPod Mini, but my friend has a 30GB iPod video and he really seems to like it. Would buy one of those without any hesitation! :)
     
  17. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #17
    Not that anyone is counting down or anything. ;) :)
     
  18. agent76 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2005
    #18
    should I wait to buy a powerbook?

    All this talk about iBook's, i'm about to buy a 12" powerbook. should i wait till macworld as well? I'm under the assumption the powerbooks wont be making the switch to intel chips for quite some time (june at least)..

    opinions?
     
  19. Seasought macrumors 65816

    Seasought

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2005
    #19
    How bad do you want a current iBook? Do you visit the Apple online store every day and look at them? Do you stop by your local Apple retail store and play with them? Do you read articles concerning benchmarks, accessories, opinions and components with regard to the iBook? Do you read articles on switching? Do you read articles about Apple's history?

    My point being, if you find yourself growing a bit obsessed over the idea of owning a current iBook it would be best to buy now. Also, if you wait, you'll have to pay for the iBook instead of getting it for Xmas. I don't regret buying my Powerbook even with the imminent release of Mactels right around the corner.
     
  20. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

    Mitthrawnuruodo

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2004
    Location:
    Bergen, Norway
    #20
    I would definitively wait untill Jan 10th. SJ is bound to have something up his sleeve. Either new iBooks or pricedrops on the old ones (or even both ;)).

    Ask your parents for a gift card for AppleStore (or Amazon or where ever) for Christmas and have that ready when the Stevenote goes and order either a brand new new Mactel 'Book or the good old iBook G4 heavily discounted on Jan 10th or the following day. :)
     
  21. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

    NewbieNerd

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2005
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #21
    I didn't know girls came in any other flavor. :)


    Yeah, I got my fiance an ipod video. She actually wants it more for watching videos than actually listening to music...very weird. I just recently got Shrek on there, so she's pretty stoked about that one.

    If you do decide to get rid of the mini, NOW is the time to do it, especially if it's a pink one. Those things are getting at least 300 each on eBay here before Christmas. I actually found a 30GB iPod photo from walmart for about 220, which is perfect for me since I don't care about video, so I've got my green mini up on eBay right now. First sell ever! :cool:
     
  22. tekmoe macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
  23. GWS macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2004
    Location:
    Atlanta area
    #23
    On sale at Amazon

    The 12" iBook is on sale again today at Amazon, $899 before their $100 mail-in rebate, plus mail-in rebates on Mighty Mouse, printer, MS Office. Plus, free shipping, no tax, and one or two other ways they could save a few dollars. Same sale this past weekend, Saturday and Sunday only. May or may not happen again. If this is what you want, your parents should buy now!

    Gary
     
  24. Sunrunner macrumors 6502a

    Sunrunner

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2003
    #24

    Thats a pretty good deal... though the 12" screen as a bit too small IMO...
     

Share This Page