Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leftfoot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Austin, Texas
Hi all, I'm new to the boards and I have a few questions.

1. I want to purchase a G4 iBook 12" model,I heard of the Apple event on April 1st, and heard of the possible Intel iBooks, Should I wait untill the keynote, or jump on the G4 before it vanishes off store shelfs?

2. I also have a G4 Tower running 9.1 (yes, shame on me)

- 500 mhz G4 PowerPC (possible bottleneck)
- 1024 Megs of ram
- 30 gig HD
- DVD drive

Are those specs good enough to run the latest version of Tiger?
And if it does run, how fast should it run?
I Also have a 60 gig 5g iPod, If get the iBook, will I be able to store the information from my G4 onto the iPod and reload the information once (and if) I install Tiger?

Thanks for any help!
Tim,

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
1. The rumored Apple event on or around April 1st is just that: a rumor. It has not been confirmed via a legitimate Apple invite in any way, however, the time to buy an iBook G4 ldecreases by the day, as everything will for sure be using an Intel processor by next January. Nine months, I know, but it's like my Sudoku philosophy: I have to be certain before I make a move. That, however, is just me.

2. Yes, you'll be able to run Tiger. I ran it on my iBook G3 with 600Mhz and 384MB of RAM, and it ran pretty decently, until the HDD died. Although you could easily use the iPod to transfer your data, Apple Retail Stores (if that's where you'll go for the iBook) offer a free one-time data transfer with the purchase of any new Apple computer. If you either are ordering online or don't want to bring the G4 with to the store, you should get a firewire cable and do a Target-Disk-Mode firewire transfer.

If you get whatever consumer laptop Apple releases that uses an Intel processor (iBook/MacBook), keep in mind that you probably (I'm not positive on this) won't be able to use the Mac OS X Install Disc to install Tiger onto your G4, so I don't know what you'll have to do regarding that aspect. If you get an iBook G4, you will be able to install Tiger onto the PowerMac via the Install Disc that will come with the iBook.

EDIT Welcome to MacRumors, and I hope that helps.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
leftfoot said:
Hi all, I'm new to the boards and I have a few questions.

1. I want to purchase a G4 iBook 12" model,I heard of the Apple event on April 1st, and heard of the possible Intel iBooks, Should I wait untill the keynote, or jump on the G4 before it vanishes off store shelfs?

2. I also have a G4 Tower running 9.1 (yes, shame on me)

- 500 mhz G4 PowerPC (possible bottleneck)
- 1024 Megs of ram
- 30 gig HD
- DVD drive

Are those specs good enough to run the latest version of Tiger?
And if it does run, how fast should it run?
I Also have a 60 gig 5g iPod, If get the iBook, will I be able to store the information from my G4 onto the iPod and reload the information once (and if) I install Tiger?

Thanks for any help!
Tim,

I guess the real questions are:

1) Do you need a machine now, or can you wait?

2) Does the iBook G4 suit your current needs? And, will those needs be changing drastically during the life of the product?

leftfoot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Austin, Texas
mmmcheese said:
I guess the real questions are:

1) Do you need a machine now, or can you wait?

2) Does the iBook G4 suit your current needs? And, will those needs be changing drastically during the life of the product?

1. I need the machine ASAP

2. As long as the iBook runs Flash, Photoshop cs2, Dreamweaver, yes.

solidbreakz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2004
SF
If I was in YOUR situation, I'd go for a 12" iBook or a discounted 12" PowerBook (similar specs, different casing, better kb on the PB). AS of yet, Adobe/Macromedia have not released Intel compatible universal binary versions of Flash, Dreamweaver, OR Adobe CS2. They won't be releasing such versions until probably end of '06/beginning '07. So if you NEED it now, BUY it now!

Just remember to BTO the iBook with at least 1GB of RAM (512MB built-in) or buy it elsewhere and have it installed at a AASP. To run DW, Flash, AND CS2...trust me..more memory, the better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.