Should iTunes 7.0.3 have subscription option?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by princealfie, Dec 9, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Noting that Zune users are happy with the subscription option, would this be the time to introduce that feature with the next update?

2. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Don't they say that like 90% of people only download a few songs a month or less? It seems like I read that somewhere not too long ago.

If there were a subscription service I probably would've gotten it when I got my iPod. I would be paying WAY more. I would've been had... without even knowing it.

3. GreeneGirl7 macrumors regular

GreeneGirl7

I don't think it should. But I guess that's only because I don't understand the point. I have a lot of music and not enough time to listen to it, and if I'm going to the take the time to really listen to it, I'm going to want to own it.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i like being able to own my music outright. i think the prices and usage rights are fair.

if Apple did this, it'd probably force the release of the next major upgrade to iTunes (i.e., iTunes 8) and not in 7.0.3.

5. zim macrumors 65816

zim

No. I don't want to see subscriptions. Subscription services are misunderstood by too many. Buying to own without a monthly fee is better.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its simply an option, for you guys who don't like it, nobody is forcing you at all?!

if u ask me, more options are always better.

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

No, I purchase music a lot, but I want to own it too.

There are some things you want to rent, and some you don't. I have no problem renting a house. But music? come on!

8. live4ever macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see a subscription model for tv/movie store so you wouldn't have to use Netflix or a video store for your rentals.

9. hamholio macrumors member

I would love it. Especially if I could use it with my 4th generation iPod with it. I download a bunch of crap from bittorrent that I want to sample or just hear and end up deleting it anyway -- if I could pay $15.00 and do that same thing without risking the law, I'd be all for it.

If the Rhapsody Sansa worked on OSX, I'd seriously consider getting one.

10. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

you people supporting this, do realize that if you stop subscribing, you loose all your music right?

11. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I would also love this option. Movies and TV are different than music. There is a reason you don't see music rental places. I've mentioned it before in previous posts, but how cool would it be to be able to rent movies/tv episodes from your couch through iTV or Front Row? Maybe renting movies would cannibalize movie purchases though. Who cares! (except the movie studios...) I would think the increase in renting would equal out to the same as just purchasing since more people would be willing to rent.

12. bit density macrumors 6502

Yes, but it will never happen...

The problem is that the IPOD does not have a protected clock, which means that time dated DRM will never work.

As to the, you do realize crowd... Yes, and I realize if I stop paying my cable bill it will stop coming.

I find lots of stuff by accident, some I buy, but not nearly all. I wish I could experiment through Itunes, and I could rent stuff, listen, and buy that stuff that I want to keep. I certainly like that better than buying stuff, and finding out later, that there is no way in hell I want to keep it. Esp 128B Protected AAC.

It is a pretty narrow list of stuff I actually buy off of Itunes. (2-3 songs a month).

13. hamholio macrumors member

This (oft repeated) argument about subscriptions is idiotic.

As bit density said -- you don't "loose" anything, because you aren't "buying" anything. If I rent movies from blockbuster, I don't have them after a week -- if I get CDs out from the library, I don't have them after 3 weeks.

14. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Subscription music, nah, but subscription movie/TV I would totally dig. There are a few shows on TV that I can't watch due to my schedule that I have been reluctant to buy from the iTunes Store, because I really only want to watch them once. I have Netflix (which I'll always prefer for movies due to the higher quality), but then you have to wait for the show to be released on DVD.

15. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Nope, using Tunebite with Zune MP I have been able to back up all those rented music files! Woohoo :cool:

16. shunpike macrumors regular

YOU USE ZMP :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

17. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yep, and it crashed my Alienware laptop like 5 times last night :).

18. shunpike macrumors regular

lol - micro$oft rules! ;)

back on topic though, I would use a subscription service but something like you pay:
    • £5 for 100 songs
    • £10 for 250 songs
    • £15 for unlimited

but lose them all when you stop paying

19. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

No I don't lose the songs when I stop paying. Tunebite is the legal method of backing up subscription wma files so it's a blast! Does take awhile to transcode however.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Me too. I hope that there is an effective online digital download movie rental scheme in the near future. I'd love that.

21. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I wish Apple offers iTunes subscriptions as an option to buying tracks, although Apple already feels buying music is the only way to go since they offer 30-second previews. That's probably their justification for going buy only.

A music subscription is a great way to discover new music without having to read reviews from snobby types with obscure musical tastes, listening to the radio, or getting recommendations from people you hang out with.

22. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

I agree. I like having both options... of course, there's always the Rolling Stone mag for reviews, eh? :D

23. shunpike macrumors regular

is there a version for windows? - are the files unprotected?

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

But if you subscribe to a magazine, you don't lose all your current issues when the subscription lapses. I would wager that a lot of music "subscribers" aren't even aware that it's a rental system.

25. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Same deal as always... if you get ALL artists to be available for the subscription it is a good system if there is a guarantee that they won't shut down the service from one year to the other.

But since with all subscriptions out there, there are MANY artists missing, you end up having to buy stuff anyway. And there is no guarantee that, for example the Zune doesn't take off, or Apple or the labels decide to drop subscriptions, they cancel the entire thing and you paid all the money, as you then would have to buy everything anyway.