Should iWork be included on Apple "Pro" Machines?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DTphonehome, Apr 30, 2006.

1. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Hey Everyone,
    I was thinking about the awesome iLife software that comes with all Macs, and how you have to buy iWork separately. Wouldn't it make sense for Apple to include iWork on its Pro machines (ie, the MacBook Pro and PowerMac)? After all, they sell it for only $79 by itself, and it would make a nice value-added feature of the Pro machines. Why should every mac come with the same exact software suite? It makes sense for the high-end machines to come with a little extra, no?

--DT

2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Maybe not included, but at a discounted price, yes. Some people may prefer MS Office or might not use it at all.

3. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I wouldn't consider iWork "pro" software so I'd say no. It should be bundled with their "consumer" lineup.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I was going to say that it might increase market penetration by introducing it to people who might try and decide it's a better value for them than springing for Office, but then I remembered that trials versions of both Office and iWork are included on every new Mac these days...right?

I think that's enough to strike a balance between value for the user and revenue streams for Apple.

5. DTphonehome thread starter macrumors 68000

Well it's certainly not "pro" like Final Cut and the like, but it's certainly more professionally oriented than iLife. After all, it is called iWORK. And if it were bundled with consumer macs, then certainly it should be on the pro macs.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

With All Macs, i mean AppleWorks had a fair amounts of user and it was crap, if Apple inculded a good Typing/SlideShow/Spread Sheet(Numbers) tons of make users would uses it.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Mine came with Art Directors Toolkit, handy little utility. But the little extra really should be a standard (and not overpriced) 1gb RAM.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i agree

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you're going to bundle softwwre, you have to recover the lost revenue. It's not a matter of saying "this can be free"

I would be p!$$3& if I had to pay, say, $30 extra for a pro Mac just to get software I'll never use. I already have Office and the Adobe suite, thank you, I don't need to pay for something else.

10. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

If it came with a killer spreadsheet app with Excel import/export, I'd probably pay $100 or more for it. But as it is, it's not really worth it IMO. Excel is a pretty cool, powerful app, but it's still painful for me to use and I think Apple could apply that special polish to such an app to make crunching numbers a bit more pleasurable. In my experience, Excel really falls down when you want to add style to the numbers. Its formatting functions are pretty primitive by modern standards. Kerning? I don't think so!

11. Project macrumors 68020

iWork should be bundled with all new Macs, especially now Appleworks has been dropped from Intel machines.

12. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I think Apple should include it with all Macs. They arent making much money off of it anyway.

13. menziep macrumors 6502a

There should be a ...

iWork Pro (ie. MS Office Killer)

14. blckout20 macrumors member

Yea Apple does need to include an iwork type software bundle atleast in their pro machines. Its slightly annoying that I don't have a good work program but it's all good.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It should be bundled with all new Macs, just as iLife is bundled with all new Macs. Apple could recoup the cost by charging for later versions, just as they do with iLife.

16. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I think the point is, its a lot easier to use ms office software if you're already used to it. bundling it with comps would give people a reason to possibly switch and get used to the layouts etc.

maybe?

17. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

That's exactly what I think.