Should Ken Blackwell oversee an election he's IN?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Background:

In Ohio, Secretary of State Kenneth Blackwell, a Republican, is running for governor. As I've mentioned, Blackwell has been accused of fraudulently influencing the 2004 Presidential election in favor of Bush. (Details in this thread.)

Wary Ohio Democrats have asked Blackwell to recuse himself from administering the fall 2006 election for an obvious reason: he's in it.

Plain Dealer link

I think the Democrats' request is entirely reasonable, for any election involving this sort of situation, but especially for one involving Blackwell. I don't trust the man as far as I can throw him. If you read the link at the top of this thread, you know Blackwell appears to have used all kinds of tricks to eliminate voter registrations from people who were likely to vote Democrat.

What do you think? Not that Blackwell will actually do it, but should he step aside?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

should he step aside? absolutely, it's a conflict of interest. but i suspect his lawyers are busy at work making the legal argument that he doesn't have to.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It shouldn't matter whether or not he rigged the last election. He should step down either way, as it's an obvious conflict of interest. He should do it as a good faith gesture just to prove he has nothing to hide, but the fact that they're fighting this so much makes it seem like they do and he is trying to influence things. This could help the Dems, but if he does rig the election, I guess it won't matter. :rolleyes:

Be easier to argue impropriety if he does though, even if there isn't, but who's going to do anything about it if he's in charge of that too? :eek:

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmmm... how many votes can I pick up with a good faith gesture, versus how many votes I can pick up with some underhanded politics....

"There is no conflict of interest here your honor."