should my friend wait for his ibook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MarksEvilTwin, May 12, 2003.

1. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I reckon it's unlikely much will happen to the iBooks in the next few months as they've just had a speed bump. Personally right now I'd get the bottom of the range Powerbook rather than the 14" ibook for the G4, better keyboard and nicer case - difference of $300. The G4 will speed up ripping over a G3. I actually have a 12" ibook 800 and it's great but I think the powerbooks a better machine. Just not better enough to make me upgrade just now....

2. .a macrumors regular

i would go with the new ibook ... it's perfect for mobility ... i had an powerbook g4 rev.1 an it died because i took it everywhere for 2 years - that was too much for this machine ... scratches, lost screws, etc.
    now i have an ibook 800cdrw and it's really fine.
    i think the powerbook 12" is too expensive...
    .a

3. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Buying now will be fine hardware wise. The only question is when is 10.3 coming out, and will it be a pay-for upgrade? Myself, I would get it now. That way, your friend the switcher, will have all summer to get used to his/her new machine as well as finding all the programs and such that he/she will want.

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

My guess is 10.3 will be a pay-for upgrade as it seems it will introduce a load of new features. Hopefully it'll be a cheap one ;)

5. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

$129 seems to be the magic number... :rolleyes:

Hopefully it won't cost that much. It would further slow the conversion to OS X for old school OS 9 people.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

there is absolutely no reason for your friend to get a powerbook over an ibook, given what he'll be doing with it.

I'd say it's pretty safe to buy now. But of course... you never know with apple. :rolleyes: