Should Old Skool Be Moved out Of Archive?

Discussion in 'MacRumors Old Skool' started by MrMacMan, Sep 17, 2003.

1. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I want to pose this question out there.

I haven't talked to Anyone about this, but It just seems:
    a) Weird to have a form in the archive, where the rest of the 'forums' are locked/aged into that location.
    b) Its all the way at the bottom of the page.

Yeah yeah being 'old skool' is being put in a archive, but give this forum some respect.

Anyone else?

(If no one posts in this thread today it only proves my point) :p

2. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Denied... I found your post. ;) :p

You might have a point. I posted down here once and nobody responded to my whitty enlightened post. :eek: :D

3. macrumors 603

I never liked that move...bring the senior members' section of the boards, made by arn, to the bottom of the forums page. I feel that never should have happened. The move feels like an iniquity every day I notice the forums by the archives for Mac Help/Tips, which consist of helpful threads that will never be reopened.

My question is: Why? Why was it placed in the pits of the forums page?

4. thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Supposedly 'old skool' is like being in the archive, hence grouped there, but I find myself only 1 time a day scrolling all the way down, to see this and birthdays, but only once.

5. thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

6. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Just a few of us... ;)

7. job
    macrumors 68040

job

there really isn't anything for us to discuss.

however, a thread which lists all of the banned users might be entertaining.

8. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

OK, I know of Shrek....

9. macrumors G4

spikey, yzdef, springscancing, DannyZR2, others..

10. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Wow, I really don't pay attention when people are banned... I didn't realize that yzdef and springscancing were gone.... But I have a tendency to make myself scarce when the forums are getting rowdy. Heh, like someone else who posted above me... But I think I know why you were scarce.. :(

11. macrumors G4

Hrm?

Anyhoo, all of those people I mentioned before (except for spikey) have been banned but have returned under different names. There are a few more but I better not mention them now...

12. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Maybe that is it, they probably have a 2 after their name....

I guess they are ok, until they screw up again under the new name... I'll have to be wary of people with 2's at the end of their names...

I don't think I have to worry about being Stelliform2, from what they say a demi has never been banned, but that is probably since we gave money to the place. :D

13. job
    macrumors 68040

job

DannyZR2 came back as that porsche guy. ;)

14. thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Who was yzdef?

I liked him, then he got banned... then I asked a mod who said he would look into it... and he never die...

*WINK*

*WINK*

Okay so the 4 person vote is
    Move: 3
    Nothing to Talk about: 1
    Leave it here: 0

(Stelliform never gave an view did he?

He just gave himself a complement... ;) )

edit: See Below.

So... unless there is a surge in the 'Leave it here' Votes, I see Move the current victor.

All we need is a Mod or Someone to give Mod powers and we are all set.

15. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Well someone around here has to complement my greatness! ;) :D :D :p :rolleyes:

One for move here...

How many members do we have now? What percent does 3 votes make? :D

16. thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

17. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I think its a good idea to move the MacRumors old skool out of archive becasue you cant see it all the way down on teh bottom of teh page. it should go up near mac collectors or sometghing

18. macrumors 6502

Well, I just stumbled upon this section for the first time, but I think if the forum was moved to the top of the page, then more people would visit and post in it. This would ruin the awesome exclusivness (<--I think it's a word :confused: ) of this forum. Even though no one seems to really post in here, it could be a nice place to have secluded discussion about MR stuff instead of on the General board.

Just my random thought after finding this forum for the first time.

19. thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Its 'exclusiveness' and yeah It needs to be moved.

20. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

21. macrumors 68040

I think it's just fine where it is.

In other news, MacRumors is not a democracy but is in fact a dictatorship run by arn.

22. macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Pity, ain't it? Of course, there's cases where it's better for forums to be totally dictatorially controlled, or completely democratic (or something similar, like democratic, but with admin veto).

Worst are those that attempt hybridization. Scary stuff. [off-topic mode]There was one board where the owner admin was/is a paranoid freak who couldn't stand to be wrong, twisting, lying and distorting facts to make himself right. Sneaky sonofagun too... gave his favorite (read: ass-kissing) posters influence and mod powers. Those... aristocrats is the only appropriate word... could then start polls about whether to ban other members. Worse, all it took to warrant a banning is proving one of the aristocrats wrong or even just pissing them off. And not even second-chance bans, but IP bans, and deletions of any references to you.

And this to say nothing of the board itself. Hell, their political etc. discussion forum is completely one-sided (and totally in accordance with the admin's POV), and anyone who dares so much as disagree with anything instantly becomes a target of mod-sanctioned flaming. Makes our Political and War discussion forum look like the model of civilized debate.

There's a reason I no longer have any desire to post there.

So, I'm quite happy with arn's control (despite our disagreements on just about every change he makes to the board).[/off-topic mode]

That said, I vote move it to the bottom of the section whose name escapes me with Community Discussion, etc.

23. thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

In other news:

Old Skool has been moved to a more lively section: Mac Community

Hello everyone that didn't know this part of the forum was at the bottom of the page!

:p

--MrMacMan

Thank You Arn and everyone who is Old Skool. :D

24. macrumors 68040

And where was this? That's what happens when crazy people learn php.

25. macrumors 603

I agree on the political forums. Not that I want them to exist anymore, eventually the flames will engulf themselves.

But, as MrMacman mentioned, at least now this foum is part of the "Community" and not the Archive. :D

"Excellent."