Should Shinseki Resign?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, May 13, 2014.

1. macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

2. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He inherited a mess but it seems to have gotten worse. Time for him to go.

3. ucfgrad93, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014

macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

He should be fired along with whoever is in charge of the locations where this is happening.

4. macrumors 6502

lannister80

Why the insane and elaborate cover-up by the Phoenix staff?

I'd think they should have bitch and moan that they don't have enough $/staff/whatever to see the people they need to see. Nothing gets Congress off its collective duff like suffering veterans...

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Cover ups tend to get the Congress motivated too

6. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

I stopped liking Shinseki since the implementation of the beret. So I can't answer it, I am bias.

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Sure watered down the Ranger's elite look.

8. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

Well they went to a tan beret. It was awful, standing out in the hot sun with a black beret, burning your head. Not to mention no brim to keep the sun out of your eyes.

Rumors have it that it helped enlistment number though. High school kids do in fact prefer the branch of the military that wears a beret. (Not many Soldiers wore them properly though).

9. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Oh come on, we had a decade of treating returning veterans like dirt and it got very little press. Dead or damaged, the administration did its level best to keep them out of view, given that the wars were such an embarassment in the first place.

10. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

Yes we have, but in defense of my VA I think they are pretty good. I don't think this current issue stemmed from Shinseki, and I am not sure what knowledge he had about the that VA and if he would have or could have done anything.

He may just have to fall on the sword since he's in charge.

11. thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

If this was going on, on his watch and he didn't know about it, wouldn't that be even more alarming? That would tell me that the people working for him felt comfortable lying to him.

12. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

I could see people hiding things from their superiors, though I don't know if something this big would be easy to hide or raise some sort of suspicion. I don't think it would be more alarming that he didn't know, especially if they are trying to keep their failures a secret. I don't know, this story I find alarming, but at the same time I haven't had enough time to dig into it. I hope they find the real issue and not just a patsy.

13. macrumors 601

satcomer

I feel this has been going on all the time! These situations have been going on for a long time. I feel that these people in charge generally have no idea what they are in charge of. I see this all the time and it always seems thar issues like these always get sweeped under the rug.

Also if you think this bad know wait until buricrates are in charge if everyone's healthcare. Yes I am a believer that the government program has never done anything right. They just male money for fat government contracts and such.

14. thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

If I had director or managers hiding things like this from me and I was in charge, there would be blood all over the floor from the rolling heads. Either Shinseki was aware and did nothing or he has a staff he needs to be replacing.

15. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

I agree, but as usual I agree with most of what you say on this forum.

16. thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Seeing that you are from the Iwate Prefecture, pray tell us what do you think the Japanese people would demand if this type of scandal were to happen in your country?

17. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

I am actually from NY, but my wife is from Japan. Right now I am back in NY. However this wouldn't happen in Japan. They don't have the best healthcare in the world, but they have the best customer service in the world.

In Japan you can walk in an see a doctor almost any time. Often they don't have the best medicines available like people here in the USA get. The often get medicine that is a generation behind what we have here, and people often opt to go to the USA for major surgery.

18. thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Customer Service is important.

19. macrumors 68040

Naimfan

He never should have been appointed, let alone confirmed.

So yes, he should resign.

Too many of my soldiers are being absolutely screwed by the VA, and it has gotten worse under Shinseki.

20. macrumors 6502

Secretary of Veteran Affairs, Eric K. Shinseki, ought to be given the Congressional Medal of Honor given the historic significance of what he has done with the VA.

The United States has a long and storied tradition of defecating on military enlisted and veterans.

Shinseki is merely keeping up with established historical precedent.

/not that that is good, I'm just pointing out the facts

You keep setting 'em up SD, I'll keep knockin 'em down. :D

21. thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'm hoping that you were being very sarcastic when speaking about the Medal of Honor. Nothing he has done is even in the neighborhood of qualifying.

Personally, I believe the President should fire him. If he knew this was going on, then he put the administration in a bad light. One of his jobs is to keep the President informed. If he didn't know it was going on, then he has a bigger problem.

22. thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

President Obama made a speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars in the Phoenix Convention Center, August 17, 2009. This link is to the White House's own website, I don't think anyone will challenge it as a reputable source.

Keep in mind, the Democrats controlled the House, Senate and Oval Office from Jan 2009 - Jan 2011.

23. macrumors 6502

Given the Roberts Court and its bestowing personhood upon Corporate Charters, ignoring the human condition and the human predilection toward corruption by money and wealth, its rulings indicating a longing for the good old days of acceptable and institutional systemic discrimination and in general its fascist leanings with regard to available litigious redress by the common man . . . . . .

. . . . . . sarcasm is not the word you're looking for; the word is satire.

Don't forget, BENGHAZI.

GOP/Republicans pedantically slash and cut Department of State funding that goes directly to supporting Embassy security . . . . . then when the inevitable consequences of those spending cuts occur, namely, an attack on a U.S. Embassy, the very people that enabled the compromised security point their fingers at everyone else and play the blame game for political points.

That's not sarcasm either, just the unvarnished truth.

/hammer, meet anvil

24. thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

All well and good but the President Obama stated that he'd fix this 2009 when the Democrats controlled the House and Senate. But if blaming the Republicans makes you feel better.

25. macrumors 6502

No, no, no. It has nothing to do with blame.

If I might channel Joe Friday, just the facts.

Just like a few years back, the Office of the Vice President outed a CIA Non-Official Covert agent, compromising an entire intelligence network operation setup to monitor the proliferation of nuclear weapon grade material in the Middle East.

That act cleared the table for accusations and claims of Iran engaging in nuclear weapon development, without the slightest concern for contradictory evidence to be furnished by that covert intelligence network.

No blame, just facts.