Should Sony pull a Microsoft and abandon the PS2

Discussion in 'Games' started by themanfromvlad, Jan 14, 2007.

1. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

After seeing the PS2 sell more units than any of the latest-gen systems this christmas, do you think it would be smart for Sony to cut the cord on the PS2 abruptly?

While it totally screwed original xbox owners, Microsoft's move to treat the console as a bastard child helped the XBOX 360 sell units. The original xbox has virtually no shelf space at retailers, as per the request of Microsoft.

Now, since Playstation is such a strong brand, isn't Sony just shooting themselves in the foot by selling two competing consoles (Yes, I'm saying that the PS2 and PS3 are competitors) with such a huge difference in price? Can the average consumer be expected to spend $599 on a "Playstation" when there's another "Playstation" right next to it (that looks extremely similar build-wise) for $129?

2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

If they do the same thing they did with the PSone after the PS2 came out, they'll keep both consoles for a while. At least I hope that developers keep pushing out PS2 games! :D

3. mkaake macrumors 65816

Well, they've already said that they'll support the PS2 for another 5 years or so, and I think especially now, it's wise... given that:

1. For most of the holiday season, people who actually wanted PS3's had a hard time finding them (now they're in stock most places)

2. Given the current price, there are bound to be a lot of people who can't afford $600 out of their budget for games. These people are fairly likely to buy a PS2 instead - I've overheard people have this conversation, and walk out of the store with a PS2 a few times this last month or so.

So I guess the way I see it, it's better for Sony to be selling something to consumers, rather than nothing. Additional note: they make money on PS2's, while they're loosing more money on each PS3 than the retail cost of the PS2... which one would you want to sell more of, until production costs dropped?

4. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Sony sold 1.4 million PS2's in December, more than any other console out there, including "next-gen".

They would be fools to stop supporting it... of course it is Sony. :rolleyes:

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There is nothing wrong with the PS2 so I don't see why they wont keep making games for it. Im sure they will start to slow down on production but they wont halt it.

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Sony is such an anti-consumer company.

That said I hope they will do it.

"Boo hoo! You guys are giving me money, but you cheapskate losers, I don't want the low quality cash you are giving me!"

*yanks PS2s from retail stores*

"Buy from me! You need me!"

Sony has always be arrogant to the extreme. I wouldn't be surprised if that is their rationale if they do pull the PS2s.

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Well, this year is planned to be the death of the PS2. It Europe it will be, without a doubt. The PS2 is outdated and 'average' now. The amount of 360s that go in Europe in unreal and it will not be long before it over takes the PS2 as the most popular console.

Good riddance I say. But thats just me, whatever lights you candle I guess. ;)

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye. I don't know a single PS2 owner now. The last one was upgraded to 360 not so long ago. I still find it incredible that a PS2 costs the same as a DS Lite, half the price of Xbox 360 Core or just a bit less than a PSP. They really should have dropped the price before xmas to maybe get a few sales in the UK. I mean the #1 item this xmas here was the Wii. With a nice price drop that could have so easily been a PS2... maybe.

Sony should stop with the PS2 when the 3 comes out there. Although hell knows what will happen to all that PS2 shelf space in GAME. haha, there isn't enough PS3 content to fill a quarter of that.
    Hopefully they'll see what a raging success the Wii and DS are and stick up more shelf space for them. It's pathetic and illogical how they're shunned.

9. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

My guess is that after God of War II (in a month or so) sony will slowly begin to fade out the PS2, as that seems to be the last great release.

On a side note- I noticed at my best buy last night that we had no PS2s and at least 20+ PS3s.

10. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

I think they should abandon blu-ray in the PS3. Too bad its too late for that...

11. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Personally I don't think Sony could afford to stop supporting the PS2 right now.

The PS3 is Sony's biggest debt-magnet they have ever created. It isn't selling as good as they wanted, the software attach rate is poor, and the loss in R&D and per-console sales is horrible. They are practically bleeding money thanks to the PS3. Sure that happens with most consoles, but not this bad... and with Sony being barely profitable as it is.

The PS2 might just be what keeps them alive, as they probably make quite a but if profit from the system and software. It might be one of their few sources of profit, to stop that would likely be suicide for Sony.... it's all they've got right now.

12. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

(Like Haoshiro said, but I'll go a little more in depth) Ps2 will probably end up being Sony's [crude] version of the Gameboy for Nintendo. What I mean to say is: Nintendo counts on Gameboy/DS sales to make up the slack for their other hardware losses/not selling so well. Nintendo does make money on their consoles, but when they're not selling - then there's no money being made; that's where the DS has saved Nintendo from possibly becoming a 3rd party company only and ditching the hardware business like Sega did. Sony could essentially be doing the same thing with the Ps2 (at least if they're smart about it) and use those Ps2 earnings to help boost their bottom line with the hurting PSP and Ps3 sales.

Over 100+ million households own a Ps2, there's no reason to bastardize the userbase and sever the cord when there's plenty of money to be made still. A lot of gamers aren't fazed by the new consoles yet and don't have any plans on upgrading; Sony will run the Ps2 into the ground and eek out every cent they can get on it.

Hell I'll be buying a Ps2 again sometime this year. ;)

13. danny_w macrumors 601

Perhaps there are a lot of HDTV owners in Europe, but the HDTV penetration is not that great in the US. And maybe that is why the PS2 far outsells the 360 and PS3. No, at least in this market, it wold be stupid of Sony to kill their cash cow. Until more people have HDTV here, the next gen game consoles (particularly the PS3) will have a hard time of it. There is simply no need for an expensive console that doesn't look any better on your current tv (for most people, anyway).

14. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Until Fumito Ueda makes a game for the PS3, I could care less about it. ICO and Shadow of the Colossus are already out for the PS2—it's the thing I want my parents to send from back home ASAP just because of that. The PS2 still has life in it, especially since the uptake on HD in the US has been so slow. Sony can only push the PS3 once it has some compelling software, and besides Resistance, there isn't much.

15. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

If the PSone is anything to go by, then as long as the PS2 is still selling I think Sony will continue to manufacture and sell them. Don't forget that it has a massive installed user-base for the developers to make lot's more money from.

Also, I think that Microsoft made a mistake in ending the original Xbox's life far too early. It was just beginning to shine, and it's cut off in it's prime.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For me the PS2 has life as long as Guitar Hero has life.
    Long live air guitar!

17. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I hope the PS2 will be around for a long time. Although PS2 was my least favorite console of its generation (hardware wise ), it's the one I ended up owning the most games for. (I had something like 20 Gamecube games, less than 10 XBox games and 50+ PS2 games)

Edit: personnal taste aside. I think it's unlikely that Sony is ready to discontinue the mass selling and profitable console.

18. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to Guitar Hero II for 360! Being able to get more songs to add to the game will be sweet.

My wife happens to really be anticipating the game as well.

19. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Nintendo doesn't make any losses in their hardware. Unlike the other two competitors in the video game market, they are primarily a video game company and need to make money through video games. None of their consoles were ever sold at a loss. They might not have sold as many home consoles as Sony, but at least they made money off each n64 and Gamecube ever sold.

20. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I know their consoles all make a profit from day one, what I was speaking about (but didn't specify and will edit my post now) is their low market share #s. Sure, they make money off their consoles no matter how good or bad they sell. But considering that their last two home consoles didn't sell so hot, we probably wouldn't be seeing a new Nintendo system (ie the Wii) if not for the fact that the DS is their new cash cow.

21. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Nintendo had mountains of cash before the DS, and has an even bigger mountain following the DS's runaway success.

22. danny_w macrumors 601

I think you just refuted your own argument there. Even a small market at a profit is better than a large market at a loss, and the larger the market the worse the loss would be.

23. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

They can't afford to. They make money on the PS2s, they don't on the PS3s. The PS2s are still selling like hotcakes, they can't shift PS3s during launch. No brainer

24. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

With europe still to see the PS3 - it's doubtful sony will be pulling the PS2 anytime soon. (Especailly considering the PS3 may have been delayed again till May)

Plus PS2 wise Europe has still to get

Okami, Rogue Galaxy, FFXII etc...

PS2 is not going to dissapear this year regardless.