Should Terri Schiavo live or die?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Mar 20, 2005.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Im about to open a big Pandora's box by bringing this up but it has become a big issue and I'm wondering what people think about removing the feeding tube keeping Terri Schiavo alive. She has been in a vegetative state for 15 years and does she have the right to die or be forced to be kept alive. Personally don't want to be kept alive if there is no hope of living a normal life and would not want to be kept alive in a vegetative state.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Die. Why are americans so afraid of death and dying?

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

It could be force to die and right to be kept alive, as well.

IMO, I think she should be kept alive.

4. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem is that we don't know what her wishes were, and if you were in her mind state would you want to be kept alive?

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Yea that's the thing. It would be different if she would have given written consent or something that would have told her family/doctors her desire to live or die. I'm not sure if was possible for to do that. I mean was this condition a gradual thing that got worse or did it just happen all of the sudden? If it was a gradual thing to where in the beginning she was able to communicate she could have gave a "just incase" consent for this situation before it grew worse. But if it just happened, then she really had no chance to give a conscious wish to live or die. Hope that makes sense.

Would I want to be kept alive if that were me? That's a tough one to answer. I'm not sure what she feels. If she just feels pain and miserable, then perhaps it would be better for the tube to stay out. But if she feels no pain, but just has whatever sensation this complication gives, then perhaps they should put the tube back in. It's really hard to say if you're not the actual person.

6. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I think it was a sudden car accident but I cant be sure. The other issue here is who has the right to end her life, In theory she can stay in this state for another 50 years, Her husband is her official legal guardian so I don't see how her parents can go above him to the courts and now congress.

7. vwcruisn macrumors regular

fwiw, her husband has stated that she told him she didnt want to be kept alive on life support, however her family disputes this.

I can't imagine why her husband would make that up.

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The husband takes precedence over her parents. If Terri Schiavo said she would want to die in a situation like this, let us grant her wishes. What possible reason would there be to keep her alive in this vegetative state? If she does feel pain (from bed sores and general inactivity), and I do think she does but can't express it, the only merciful thing to do is let her go in peace.

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

There's no point being alive if you can't live; I think the merciful thing to do would be to let her die.

It reminds me of LD Value debate in high school... The age old issue: quality of life vs sanctity of life... Quality of life is the dominant value in my book.

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    She should be allowed to die. Knowing that her husband was her legal next of kin, I'd imagine that she'd had that discussion with him. I know I have had it with my next of kin, along with asking them to ensure that my organs are donated if appropriate.

There's no chance of her recovering now after 15 years and is it right to use the resources that are keeping her alive when they could be used for someone who has more need of them? To those who say let her parents take care of her, that's still leaving the emotional burden of not yet being able to say goodbye on her husband and is likely to interfere with his new wife and family. I heard someone say (not here) that they thought it was appalling her husband had given up on her. I can't believe that sentiment. I know that if I was killed while my partner was still alive, I'd hate to think that he did nothing else but mourn me.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

12. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I don't know, there are so many more important things that ought to be the center of attention right now.

If I get too close I may never get the smell of political slime off me.

13. Symtex macrumors 6502a

I do not understand George W Bush involvement in this. His trying to pursue a politic agenda and using this poor wowan to pass his bill. he doesn't care about Mrs. Schiavo. Why does he care now ?

I think we should let her die. She suffer enough.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The public opinion against Congress' action is extremely high, as I pointed out in this thread. In fact, public opinion is as close to unanimous as I've ever seen it. It's basically Congress, Bush & the evangelical fanatics vs. the entire rest of the country.

As to my own opinion...let the poor woman die in peace, and stop using her as a freaking political tool.

Evil bastards.... :mad:

15. iGary Guest

iGary

Bravo.

Might I suggest this as a wake up call to those in the US that do not have a living will to draft one up if you do not wish to be kept "alive" like this for years on end.

What this woman has been doing for years is not my idea of living, personally.

My two cents.

16. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

"Terri Schiavo suffered brain damage in 1990 when her heart stopped briefly because of a chemical imbalance."

The chemical imbalance was brought on by her eating disorder.

My vote? Let her die, not that I think that I--nor anyone in Congress--should get a vote.

17. iGary Guest

iGary

Ditto.

Steroids, and people's right to die all in one week. Glad our representatives are focused. :rolleyes:

18. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

This is the greater issue at hand. The husband had conversations with his wife and knew her wishes. The poor parents cannot let go. If she dies because the tube is removed, they will never move on with their lives; they haven't moved on now! This is the sad part of the case.

19. iGary Guest

iGary

Well, our federl government got in the business of deciding people's fate last night.

She'll be kept alive.

They called the bill the "Palm Sunday Conmpromise" and quoted Pope John Paul regarding the bill.

EXCUSE ME, SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE?

I'm freaking sick over this.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

She should be allowed to finish dying.

Keeping her in such a hellish existance is cruel. If those protestors care so much about their religion and believe that heaven is such a great place as they say they do, why would they deny her that?

When her mother kissed her the other day, she showed no signs of being aware. They've contended for so long that she can be rehabilitated--it's pretty obvious there is nothing left.

It's time for the politicians to get out of her life to do something that might benefit all of us.

21. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

They should be able to euthanise (kill) her, if that is her wish.
    Given that option is illegal in the states the next best thing is to stop feeding her (letting her die).

I do feel one should be carefull in determining the value of other lives.

22. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

The question of her "right to die" versus her "right to live" is sort of a moot point since we don't know for certain what her wishes were (are). The husband says that she wouldn't want to be kept alive this way; the parents say that she would. I would have expected that as her guardian, the husband's word "wins" in this kind of dispute, but apparently the law is not so clear on that point.

Like most people who've chimed in here so far, I wouldn't want to be kept alive in this way either. But, as I also suspect is true for most people here, I don't have a living will that explicitly states that. Terri Schiavo is still a young woman, and she was fifteen years younger when she went into this state. I'm guessing that at the time, she figured she was too young to worry about something so morbid as having a living will.

What's really sad to me is that I'm less and less certain that any of her family members (on either side of the dispute) have Terri's best interests at heart anymore.

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

IMO, die.

and also IMO, this should be left to State Courts and NOT be up in front of the Supreme Court.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The courts in Florida have spent the last seven years hearing evidence on the medical issues and who has the right to represent her last wishes. They have consistently decided that her condition is not reversible and have sided with the husband on the custody issue. What is the argument for federal intercession? Beyond politics, none.

Congress and the President have done an outrageous, despicable thing here. Next time, it could be you or your family's most intimate personal decisions that could be turned into a political football. Don't think it couldn't happen. These people have no shame.

BTW, did we really need a second thread on this topic?