should the 14" ibook live?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Jul 1, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i love the ibook...i got the very first one

the current 12" inch ibook is great because it packs a lot of punch for a 4.9 pound sub-notebook

but the 14" inch ibook weighs a pound more and is overshadowed by the amazing tibook and the 14" inch ibook may be too high in price for the consumer market at $1799 usd

personally, i would like to see the 14" inch ibook come down in price at least two hundred dollars

2. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

No. It should not live. If Apple was going to make a laptop with a 14" screen, they should've redesigned the case. It looks ugly :mad:

3. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I mean, only the 14" iBook is ugly. They style is perfect for the 12" screen...

4. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Jef is right. not only is the 14" iBook unweildy and odd looking, it's hideously overpriced. It was a good idea, yes. There is definitely a market for something between a full featured 12" subnotebook and a 15.2" beast of a pro notebook. The 14" iBook just isn't the answer. Don't ask me what is, though. I wouldn't want to be in Jon Ive's shoes when he has to figure out what to stick in that hole.

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

and besides $1599 or lower, thin out the case some and bring the weight down half a pound and i think that would make the design more appealing

i would buy it like that but a g4 processor would make sales go thru the roof and i would spring for it then tomorrow

of course that won't happen until powerbook gets g5 sometime next year or in 2004

6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

...and kick it up to 900MHz with a 166MHz effective bus. Thing it out to 1 inch, 4.7lbs, and we have a notebook!

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

you can't bring it down to 1". the thickness of plastic needed makes it alot thicker. and it can't have a metal case, that's reserved for the TiBook...:cool:

8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

whether or not we like it, it sells. well. i think that it would be just fine if they just increased the resolution capability to say...1152x960 or something like that.

9. nadroj macrumors newbie

Kill the 14 inch beast!

Death to the 14inch beast of a computer! It's foul stench can be smelled from all around the world. The foul ugly glutton much be BURNED AT THE STAKE.

10. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

come on, it's not that bad. i think you're over reacting a little bit.

what about all the people who need a bigger screen but can't afford the TiBook? think of all the people who love the iBook!