Should the cloning of organs be allowed for transplants?

Discussion in 'Community' started by diorio, Oct 2, 2002.

1. diorio macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2002
    I am doing my research paper on therapeutic cloning. Should the cloning of organs, human or animal, be allowed for transplants? Just to let you know the facts 75,000 people are currently on the waiting list for organs and 3000 Americans die each day from diseases that could possibly be treated by therapeutic cloning. Do you believe it is morally acceptable? What would you think if you were going to die if you didn't get an organ transplant?
  2. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Tough question.
    I would say that cloning just the needed organs is OK, after all, it can't survive without the rest of the body so it isn't alive per say,
    it's when you get into cloning whole animals is where it gets rough.
  3. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2002
    I'm not exactly sure on the process. They might have to clone an entire animal to get their organs, but I don't know. I'll look into it though.
  4. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    If people here in America can somehow agree on where stem-cell research is heading, then I think it would be possible to single out one organ and clone it, but with the ethics commitee vs. the scienists, it's not going to be something you're going to see soon.
  5. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2002
    Yes, I doubt we'll see it soon, Bush is fairly anti-cloning, and there are many ethical questions to answer. However there are scientists in Europe claiming to have already cloned human beings, so no matter what regulation there is against cloning, there will always be those who do it anyway.
  6. mattevil macrumors member

Jun 19, 2002
    I don't see how just cloning the needed organ could seem morally wrong.Having a clone that you kept in your basement until you needed an eye, leg, etc. would be bad. The real question is how do we know it will be safe? last time I heard about dolly the sheep she was aging way too fast. If you put an organ(that was aging fast like dolly) in to replace a cancer ridden one wouldn't their be risk for more cancer from the dividing cells? All I know is I hear every year about some mother brought in for child endangermernt because she wouldn't take her child with a tumor the size of a baseball to a hospital.
  7. dreamlance macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2002
    wouldn't you like to know?
    A lot of Christians, Dubya probably included in this, see cloning as playing God and going against God's will for life. Most people are also terrified of the idea that your body can actually be cloned. The thoughts of doubles of you running around can be slightly disconcerting.

Me? I'm all for cloning of organs for transplant. It takes years to get an organ and then you have to deal with organ rejection and all that. I think it's a great idea, if you can take a single healthy cell from an organ, clone and give someone another few years to live, what's wrong with it?
  8. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    no way, dude!!!

what if that organ gets loose (from the laboratory) and starts smashing buildings like godzilla

oh no, it's the attack of the fifty foot ****:p
  9. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    Re: Should the cloning of organs be allowed for transplants?

I don't think anyone is against cloning individual organs, particularly if clones from one's own cells and not from fetal stem cells. The debates on cloning are about the origin of the cells being cloned, and the ethical concerns of cloning an entire person. I've never heard anyone be against cloning of individual organs. I suppose someone out there is, but they are by far in the minority. The only thing stopping this from happening now is that its scientifically impossible at the moment, and the research is hampered by the inabliity to use government money for studies involving detal stem cells outside of the lines already cultured. When the research gets to a point when this can really be talked abuot (probably 20-40 years at least), it will happen and no one will blink an eye.
  10. e-coli macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
  11. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I bet I could guess the answer you would get if you asked all the people who have died (because of not being able to get an organ fast enough) if they were pro using cloned organs or not....
  12. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    I think we need to look at the big picture

I'm worried about the rising birth rate compared to a falling (or level) death rate. There are plenty of resources to go around for the earth's 6+ billion people, but a staggering number never see (and never have the opportunity to see) these resources and are allowed to die of starvation, sickness, etc. while richer countries are asking for seconds on their fettucini alfredo and being rushed to their local top-quality emergency room after choking on their cheesesteak. Although the resources currently exist to support every living human, they are distributed inequitably and even a sharp rise in production (brought on by an increased birth/death ratio in richer countries) is no guarantee that the less fortunate will have an opportunity to be more fortunate in the future.

The main things I worry about are: Who will have the privilege of being allowed to have these cloned organs implanted? How much will it cost, and who will pay for it? What of those who don't have or can't afford insurance? What effects will this have on the various cultures that choose to participate? How will we avoid the slippery slope of increasing reliance and acceptance on/of biomedical developments like this, if indeed we do want to?

13. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    The controversy stems from the fact that at this point in time you must clone the entire organism and then harvest it. There are methods that can clone individual organs like skin but complex organs are a long way off. If you could grow individual organs then this would not be an issue at all, not even fundamentalist conservatives could argue against it.
  14. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2002
    Re: I think we need to look at the big picture

Those are all excellent questions. It's probably safe to say that the organs would not be equally distributed, but would go to those who could afford it. The dwindling resources also pose a problem, such as, if we allow this cloning and lifespans are increased by 10,20, even 30 years, will our already scarce resources be able to keep up? There are many questions, many opinions, but few answers.