Should the Finder be more like iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cifriX, Aug 6, 2004.

1. cifriX macrumors newbie

Does anyone here think that the Finder in Tiger (and beyond) should be more like iTunes?
    That is; should it instead of organizing files into folders - organize them into content relative groups such as Images, Audio and Movies and then let the user browse through the files like iTunes lets you browse your music?

Just a thought.

2. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

No, I'm not a fan of having all of my stuff sort of automatically organized by its type, and besides, there are already folders like "Pictures" and "Movies" in the home folder that can be used for this. I do like the idea of the "smart folders" though. As far as I'm aware, Tiger will have these, so you could have a folder for stuff created in the last week, etc. And with searchlight, people might even be using the finder less considering the ease of finding something.

3. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Finder will give you the option to create smartfolders but it won't automatically do this by my understanding. Spotlight however will work much like the iTunes search engine by looking in the metadata of the files to make your search more intuitive.

4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

So in other words finder will be more like iTunes in tiger if you want it to. :D

5. rock6079 macrumors 6502

exactly, you could just make a bunch a folders w/ vids/ pics/ music etc and put those all in a folder and ahve ur finder window always automatically open to those and automatically refresh /live update