should the usa reinstate the draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jun 27, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000

the draft would bring an overall smarter group of people into the military to fight terrorism since many who are in the armed forces in the enlisted ranks are given the choice...military or jail (when a lot of these people left the army base where i lived...they went from uniform to life of crime and made my neighborhood less desireable...too many examples of that

i am a volunteer social worker for addicts and the vast majority are former military and many got hooked on drugs while in the military

also many of the officers who come to the grad school where i live are hardly college material...if you know what i mean... and the military could use properly educated officers and not ones who went to the military because they couldn't hack a real job for a college graduate in the real world

no one should be forced to serve in a job that they don't like and especially one where they can get killed/injured

with our volunteer military, we did well in the last war (the gulf war) and we didn't even get close to a draft

"we will never need the draft to beat hussein" was one of the reassuring points secretary of defense **** cheney made even though iraq had the 4th largest military in the world
  2. sturm375 macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    Add Money

As with most things in America, better pay will bring more people

Of course this means either re-allocating federal funds(cut pork programs, or other social programs), or raising the tax rate.

One of the problems with the military today, is how quickly a person is released. Face it when a recruite enters service, we program them to be a killer. There is no de-programming when they leave. This can cause major Psychological problems. It is no wonder some resort to crime and/or drugs. Our government has a long history of short sightedness like this.

On the other hand, isn't the Army's newest slogan "An Army of One". So why do we need so many Armys:D
  3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: Add Money

when i was in bible college, during a prayer, this one military officer who was an administrative paper pusher prayed, "dear god, let there be peace on earth so i don't have to continue on with my job of killing people"

even though this man, the most peaceful person you can imagine, never was on the front lines in a combat infantry position, he knew that shuffling papers at the pentagon as a captain in the army was still part of the process that it took to kill the enemy...a living, breathing human being...and in some cases...innocent civilians including women and children

swords into plowshares was definitely on his mind
  4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    many other countries require most adults to serve in the military for at least a few years. I don't know if this would be a good idea for the US. And the draft isn't exactly going to be received warmly, no, I don't see it happening again unless a war is declared. And that doesn't seem all that likely with the current state of the world. Large scale wars just don't make any sense.
  5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Jan 3, 2002
    San Destin Florida
    I am not for the draft really because it is not needed. Now conscription is a different matter all together. Make every able bodied high school graduate male (sorry ladies, but the military isn't for you) serve 1 year in the armed forces. That would reduce a lot of the problems that exist in the country. Would give people a foundation for physical fitness, and would increase self image in this country.

Sorry for the ladies comment, but I have served my country, as has every man in my family all the way back to my Great Grandfather. That being said. Go rent Black Hawk Down, and tell me if women should have been there.
  6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Sep 18, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Let's see. I'm beyond draft age, and I don't have any children that could be drafted, so sure. Seems like a good idea.

I'm being sarcastic, but I'm pretty sure this is how your congressional representatives make decisions like that, and that is but one of the reasons I oppose conscription as a general policy. I oppose forcing anyone into a job they don't want to do, especially when that job entails something as serious as "shoot or be shot." And the military isn't just a job. It's a whole lifestyle.

If we had a numerically superior foreign adversary threatening us on our own soil, then yes I would reluctantly endorse conscription as a means of defending the kind of society that holds individual freedom as sacrosanct.

Personally, I think the upcoming US Army computer game is a much better way to go about attracting recruits. It will give folks a much better idea of what the military is all about, and maybe generate some interest. Some people are calling that propaganda, but I'm much more comfortable with offering people an informed choice than the alternative.
  7. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    No, I can't see the draft being reinstated.
    We are entering an age where manpower is not as big a factor as technology is. Look at the early stages of the war on terrorism where a small group of well-equipped army troops used stealth to inflict massive damage on the taliban. Not to mention that a lot of the planes being used in Afghanistan had no pilot. We can send a missile into enemy installations from a warship parked in a nearby gulf. Wars have gotten to the point of quality over quanity.
  8. drastik macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2002
    The draft is a terrible idea, always was. Conscription might be okay, but I'm still against it. My politics are a bit skewed. I'm a fiscal conservative, and otherwise pretty left. In essence I'm a libretatian who favors certian federal programs. Big government is bad government, but somethings need to be taken care of. Most people who are pro-draft are above draft age and childless. My Step-Father served in Veitnam, and he still has nightmares about it. No thanks. Give me something I feel is worth dying for and I'll sign up, but modern technology is hopefully eliminating the needs to march thousands of young men to their deaths.
  9. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2002
    Winter Park, FL
    Nice post asurance. On another note, as an 18-year old I disagree with the draft on the grounds that I cannot fathom how it is acceptable for me to (possibly) die for my country when I cannot have a beer. If this country wants to call me an adult they can treat me as one, and thus for me to support the draft would be for me to endorse a glaring double standard.