Should this HP Alliance lead to more?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by BenRoethig, Jan 18, 2004.

1. BenRoethig macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

After I heard the announcement of the HP I got thinking of what might come. Let me ask everyone some questions. If HP and Apple both used the exact same operating system which one would you buy? Now ask the same thing to the average computer user. Do you know anyone who Apple the software maker meets their needs but Apple the computer maker does not? One of the major reasons for Apple's lack of market share may be Apple itself. Before everyone starts screaming heretic, let me explain myself. Apple strives on innovation and cutting edge designs. They are really a whine and chease company. Their designs are marketed to a select few who want a computer that is as much as a piece of art as it is a functioning computer. The iMac and eMac and really form over function. Becuase of this, many of the parts they use are custom designed to fit their cases. This costs money. Most computer users do not need all this. Most people don't care if a machine has a grated aluminum as long as it does what they want it to do. I'll use myself as an example, about a year ago, I was looking for a replacement for my PowerMac G3. I needed a relatively inexpensive family computer. As much as I wanted to go with another Mac, none of Apple's designs really met (nor do today) my hardware needs. The eMac was close, but I wanted a more expandable case and a better graphics card. The G4 was out of my price range. I decided on a Compaq 8000Z with a 1.53ghz Athlon. It meets all my needs except for the operating system. Many people are in the same boat as I was. Last summer, I looked at buying a reliable, no frills laptop for myself. This time around, there was no question about my choice: the 12" iBook. I bought it solely for my OS and software needs. The great design is more of an after thought. It has become clear to me that if Apple wants OSX to become mainstream, they are going to need some help. Enter HP. Hewlett-Packard and Compaq are leading brands in the mainstream PC sector. They are available more or less everywhere. What if HP made and marketed a line of MacOSX computers in the PC way? The proposed computers would feature IBM PowerPC 750VX and G5 processors on MATX motherboards (with available PCI extender with full tower G5s.) co-developed by HP, Apple, and IBM. They would be available in prebuilt boxes and available built to order with many of the same choices as Wintel HPs. I know many of you would not buy one, but what about those you know? What about the average computer buyer? Personally, I think OSX can be successful in a windows World if you target the right crowd.

2. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

this argument has been going on for 20 years. let me say this, apple isn't comcerned about being the most popular OS, they are concerned about making a profit. They make their money on ahrdware, they obviously can't compete in any meaningful way with MS on the OEM OS market, and even if they tried, there's little incentive for computer makers to do it in any way that would make apple any real money. Apple made a profit last quarter. Is any other computer maker other than dell doing the same. Apple is doing fine and should keep on selling hardware, which is where 100% of their profits come from. I'm sure there's like a 100 other threads that cover this arguement already.

4. BenRoethig thread starter macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

Yes. However, this is a different day with different circumstances. First, Apple's hardware offerings were pretty bad. Apple and the Mac clones offered white boxes. The clones were much better computers. Apple didn't have a niche or a clue in those days. Second, all the clones came from small insignificant companies who gave an alternative to Apple other than windows. HP has a name and marketing dollars. They know the computer business and how to suceed. They wouldn't have sold 1 out of every three computers and be a leading printer maker if they didn't. Third, Apple didn't have the innovative products they have now. OSX, Garage Band, iPhoto, iDVD, iTunes, Safari, etc. If the average consumer wants these but can't find an Apple Computer that fits their needs, they're currently out of luck and Apple loses money to Microsoft. If they want a Mac it's either some internet store or for the lucky few an Apple store or retailer. People are not going to buy a computer they cannot see and Macs are just not available to most people. An HP Mac would be.

5. AMDMACMAN macrumors newbie

I think a hp branded mac would be cool. I dont think it would be very likely(at all) to happen. Imaging the possibility of just an hp branded ibook/powerbook/imac. My idea would be that apple would control all aspects of desing and asthetics. But they would look different that the apple line.

Not a clone but a seperate product that apple designs and makes but just has hp market and support. This could give mac os/apple hardware more market share.

I dont think it will ever happen but who know now that the hp ipod has emerged.

6. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

You have got some good points. Timing certainly seems better than last time around, but Apple got burned so badly that it will need a lot to get the ball rolling again.
    And another question would be: what is in for HP ? How does it fit in with their strategy ? Wouldn't it make their offering more confusing to the end-user ?

I think the iPod is a bit of an exception, because it is a market leading product and already a cultural icon...

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I think Apple should sell more low range towers. That would solve the cost over quality feature. Perhaps maybe 100 dollars less than the emac and a little slower. Maybe even $200 :p It wouldn't even have to be a new model, just take some single proc Powermacs that are a few generations old. Prolly an 800Mhz G4 for 600-700 dollars? Not very likely, but still it's a better option than instituting clones.

ATTACK OF THE CLONES!!!

8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Allowing HP to brand an iPod was foolish. Apple needed not to break into the mainstream, because it owned the mainstream with the iPod. It instead traded in its unique product and exclusive innovation to be copied by another exactly.

The iPod rules because it is different. Apple made a big mistake by sharing that special difference with another company. It is not going to augment brand identity whatsoever, but it will only cheapen and devalue the brand.

The same is true for cloning the computers themselves. It will never happen again because it is foolish. Apple subsidizes development of its software through the sales of its hardware. Apple is a hardware company with great software. The Mac is a sale of the total package. Neither the system software nor the hardware would work as well if it were not for the other. Anyway, to try to start grabbing clones now would inevitably lead to a system software war that Microsoft would win because of additional resources. Plus, what PC company in its right mind would dump Windows for Mac OS?! It doesn't make any sense, the niche is too small. And yes, it would be dumping, because Microsoft would stop servicing Windows to those who sold Mac OS-based systems. There would be another anti-trust suit, but Apple would get burned before the suit was settled.

Apple lives on innovation, uniqueness, and brand identity. Diluting any of these would be fatal.

For those who have said that Apple should have lower-end products in expandable form, I agree! However, such towers won't compete until Apple totally leaves Motorola and its sub-standard processors behind.