Should voter registration be automatic?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ugahairydawgs, Jan 31, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

2. macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Just because you are registered does not mean you have to vote. I don't really see a problem with this.

3. macrumors 65816

Dweez

I think that's a bad idea.

4. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    One less bit of tape for people to deal with. Works fine in parts of Europe already.

5. macrumors 68040

Moyank24

I want to say that here in Texas we are registered automatically when we register our vehicles. I could be wrong, though.

I don't see a problem with this at all.

6. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Why do you think it's a bad idea?

--------------------------

I don't particularly care either way. I don't see much benefit in it. It's not like it's a hard process. While we have elections more frequently than every 4 years, people are more inclined to vote during presidential election cycles. This gives people 4 years to get their crap together for a process that takes just a few minutes to do. So why spend money to ensure people can vote that are too lazy to register themselves? Or are they just not aware that they have to register? If that's the issue, then determine if it's cheaper to get the word out vs automatic registration.

Whatever is cheaper, do that. I'm registered and I still get fliers in the mail telling me to register. I don't see how people can't know. If you're that ignorant of the voting process, maybe you shouldn't be voting anyway.

7. thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

That's generally the basis of my problem with it and the overall nanny state type mentality that goes into a bill like this.

Voting is a very important thing and a right that I am glad to have. But it isn't something to be taken lightly and I feel that signing up the folks who are too lazy to get off their backside to do it on their own cheapens the value of the whole process. And it's not like people don't have a bazillion opportunities to register to vote. I know here in Georgia you are asked every time you renew your drivers license if you would like to be registered to vote. On top of that there are voter registration drives going on in election years just about everywhere you turn.

The opportunities are there for people to register to vote. If you can't make the minimal effort needed to get that done then you can just sit at the house on election day.

8. macrumors 65816

Dweez

Because it should not something which is "mandatory", occurs automatically etc. Personal choice comes to mind. Our government reaches much to far into the personal lives of US citizens.

9. macrumors G3

Huntn

I view it as a convenience. If your intent is to stay under the radar, they all ready got your number and no one is making you go vote. ;)

10. macrumors 68040

Moyank24

Frankly, I have a feeling that if one is too lazy to get off their a** once a year or every other year to register, they're probably not going to get off their a** to actually vote.

11. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

In my state, I can get the form online and print it (could do this at the library for $0.10) and then mail it. As far as I know they send me prepaid stuff in the mail after that to ensure my registration is current. So they only have to get off their duff once to register. Lazy lazy people.

12. thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

You're right....they probably wont on their own. But when some political operative comes to their door on election day with a bag full of shiny stuff or the promise of a free this or that (along with a ride to their polling place), what do you think ends up happening there?

13. Guest

eric/

I disagree. I think it's a nuisance to deal with. To me it seems pretty clear that people should automatically be registered, it removes inefficiency in the voting system, and may encourage more people to vote since now all they have to do is show up. We don't need the government to pay people to sit around and register people, it's a waste.

14. macrumors 68040

Moyank24

They would have to be registered already, though.

And, as for the other stuff....:rolleyes:

15. thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Right....that's the point. If something like this bill were to ever pass (which I can't imagine it will even come up for a vote), then all those operative would have to do is go door to door in one of their target rich environments.

16. macrumors 68040

Moyank24

If they are going to go through all that trouble, than theoretically they can show up with goodies and transportation to register people as well.

17. macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Nope. When we get our renew our license we are asked if we want to register to vote but that's it.

18. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Carbon footprint reduction and assistance to the elderly/less capable makes it worthwhile.

19. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Do you have any evidence of this happening in the US?

20. macrumors 68040

Moyank24

I knew it was something like that. I guess I've been registered since I got my TX driver's license. I haven't been here long enough to renew it - I, for one, am glad it's one less thing to worry about. Every year (in January I believe) I get my Voter Registration card.

21. macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I think it's one less obstacle. Personally, I think when you turn 18, you should automatically be registered to vote. The whole concept of registering is a bit antiquated.

22. Guest

eric/

and?

23. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

Works for us.:)

24. thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

GOTV efforts are pretty common. Some are more on the up and up than others, but both parties do it.

25. macrumors 68040

Moyank24

There's a difference between GOTV efforts and basically bribing those to vote who wouldn't normally, which is what you were implying.

If that was "pretty common", I'm sure there is plenty of documented evidence of such wrong doing.