Should VPC Be Defragged Regularly...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pimentoLoaf, Feb 23, 2005.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

2. bubbamac macrumors 6502

It depends on what you're using it for, and how often you use it. I use mine so little, and with such small files, it's not an issue.

If you're using yours a lot, and with large files, or installing and uninstalling lots of apps (er, uh, programs), you might consider it. Boy, I hope you've got some free time. That ought to take an eternity.

3. brap macrumors 68000

I should think fragmentation pails into insignificance when you consider the overheads already incurred. Maybe if you're wanting to squeeze that last nanosecond.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I wonder whether it would have any effect at all because the files on VPC are kept on an OSX-formatted hard drive after all. Since OSX does all its own de-fragmenting, you'd think VPC would automatically be clean as-is. :)

Remember, VPC is merely pretending to be an x86 system (Windows or otherwise.) ;)

5. brap macrumors 68000

See, that bit contradicts...
    That bit.
    The hard drive is one file. OS X will treat it as a single contiguous file yes, but inside the file is a working model, if you will, of a HD. This virtual HD will become fragmented as windows slaps data anywhere it wants, just like a real computer. OS X has no control over it.

My point is, who cares if it's fragmented. It's treacle slow anyway. :rolleyes:

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

OK, fair enough. I figured it was like an app in that it was represented by one file in the finder but was actually a package of lots of little files. Either way, I can't be bothered defragging! I agree with you, it won't do anything noticeable.