Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Hi everyone,

Should we be expecting a powerbook update soon. I mean the iMac is g5 and at 1.6ghz and 1.8ghz. Also what about a price cut. The iMacs have such a good value in my opinion that i think they will compete a slight amount. So iMacs are desktops but you've got to admit they look pretty portable.

Thanks to all who reply

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I think Apple has pretty well squashed G5 powerbooks anytime soon. The technologu just isn't there.

A lot of rumors have floated by for Freescale G4 like chips at faster speeds. This may be our future. As for a Moto G4, I am not sure they have managed anything better than what is in there now. Time will tell.

Apple may be able to eek out another 100 mhz, up the video chipset, and get us a holiday update. But I think we need to hope for nice low power, high speed chips from Freescale.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
late October or early November. Right in time for the Christmas buying season. That's also how long it'll take Freescale to get enough chips for manufacturing.

bobpensik

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
Calgary, AB
We won't see a G5 PB anytime soon, i think that the iMac just proves how hard it is to get the G5 chip into a small enclosure! The iMac is 2" thick and has way more area to work with (17" and 20" screen plus extra plastic around that) so can you imagine how hard a time Apple is having trying to get a G5 into something that is 1/2 as thick and has prolly half the area!

Keep in mind the the G5 PB will probably be one of Apple's BIGGEST sellers, so they know they have to get everything right, and i am sure they are not going to rush it to production just because everyone wants it!

I think we might have another yea to wait! unfortnately!

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
bobpensik said:
We won't see a G5 PB anytime soon, i think that the iMac just proves how hard it is to get the G5 chip into a small enclosure! The iMac is 2" thick and has way more area to work with (17" and 20" screen plus extra plastic around that) so can you imagine how hard a time Apple is having trying to get a G5 into something that is 1/2 as thick and has prolly half the area!

Keep in mind the the G5 PB will probably be one of Apple's BIGGEST sellers, so they know they have to get everything right, and i am sure they are not going to rush it to production just because everyone wants it!

I think we might have another yea to wait! unfortnately!

Agreed and I really doubt we will see that amazing g5 pb until summer of 05

kilpajr

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2004
Auburn, AL
dswoodley said:
late October or early November. Right in time for the Christmas buying season. That's also how long it'll take Freescale to get enough chips for manufacturing.

I believe the dual core chips were just announced not too long ago. I don't think they will be able to get new PBs out that soon, but it would be awesome if they did (even though I just received my 15" 2 weeks ago). How great would it be if Apple had the first dual core chip in any computer shipping in a PB?

With the announcement of the dual core chips I don't see the necessity of putting the G5 in a PB. The cooling and power requirements (look at the cooling on the new imac) seem to be too much to put in a PB. Aside from that, I have a hard time believing the G5 would outperform a dual core G4.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
these imacs are for the christmas buying season - not for school starters, because those first imac orders probably get delivered in 4-or-so weeks and i guess the line has already become quite long. i think you can actually buy one just before christmas ;)

powerbooks are due to get a new revision in january next year, if the 9 months average holds, and deliveries in march would leave apple a nice gap to finish tiger by wwdc 2005 ;)

Coolvirus007

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2004
Tokyo
The next revision will probably be a faster g4 (dual-core?) maybe around december-january. The G5 pb has some dense fog around its release date.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Coolvirus007 said:
maybe around december-january

i guess december is not very likely, as they have an expo coming on january and there wouldn't be any reason to announcing something before christmas that will be delivered in february ;D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.