Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
I think it is too early for Apple to be selling Macs that boot OSx only. I have alot of stuff that will not work on X.
I love Macs and OSX but if you have a business that still has apps and PCI cards that run only on OS9 what are you going to do if you want more speed?
Are you going to Pay $2500 for the 1.25 dual that boots os9 ?
Or would you upgrade your current Mac to a 1 gig processor for $600, buy a used Mac, or buy a pc or 2?
I think most would buy an upgrade card for $600, I also think apple would be better served by having all new Powermac OS 9 bootable, then I would by another new Mac:)
daniel

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Shouldn't all the new macs boot OS9 too?

Originally posted by fourthtunz
I think it is too early for Apple to be selling Macs that boot OSx only. I have alot of stuff that will not work on X.

... and those apps will take far longer to get ported to OS X if Apple keeps OS 9 around (imo)

arn

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Re: Re: Shouldn't all the new macs boot OS9 too?

Originally posted by arn

... and those apps will take far longer to get ported to OS X if Apple keeps OS 9 around (imo)

arn

I understand this sentiment, but this is Apple's view.
Whatever their view, many people Have Pci hardware that will never be OSx compliant and need to use it today to make their living today. I'm just saying upgrading to the dual 1.25 to use 0s9 makes no sense, as the upgrade card to 1 gig will be almost as fast and for alot less money. Did you notice that the dual 1.25 gig that boots 0S9 is $500 more?
I think they need to make even the cheapest POwerMac boot os9, to keep people buying new Macs.
Hey we're not talking about some ancient OS, we're talking about like, last year they we're selling it!(or still are!!)
Apple give the people what they want!

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
I finally switched to OS X and completely left OS 9 behind. I didn't even install it. I'm on an old PCI based G3 and it works great.

If you're running a business you can buy a new Mac and then write it off. I understand you may have some apps that wont work, but there should be an alternative. You can write those off too.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Originally posted by pgwalsh
I finally switched to OS X and completely left OS 9 behind. I didn't even install it. I'm on an old PCI based G3 and it works great.

If you're running a business you can buy a new Mac and then write it off. I understand you may have some apps that wont work, but there should be an alternative. You can write those off too.

Yes but you made my point! You have an old G3!
So you didn't buy a new Mac either, which is my point, I'm not saying I don't use OSX, I just don't use it to make the bulk of my income. Last time I used final cut pro on OSX on my dual 867 I had alot of problems, maybe its better now, I had to switch back, I don't have time to troubleshoot.
The apps I speak of are Protools which is an audio app, one of many that I use, and its $12,000 and it the #1 Daw in the audio industry and it doesn't do OSx yet so, if apple doesn't make computers that do os9 people like me will upgrade the processor card. See what I mean, no new computer, bad business for apple.
daniel

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Ah, well I didn't realize what profession you are in. I agree that for your needs OS 9 is better. I have Cubase (which is ass compared to PT) and I can't use it now. I have some other audio apps, but I plan do upgrade them in the future. I do music as a hoppy so I can afford to wait as you cannot. However, I think most of the Adobe aps are available and they seem to work well.

I upgraded my video card in my g3 400 to the Radeon 7000 and I just took it out and put back the Rage 128GL. I notice no difference and I'm disappointed. I'm also thinking of upgrading my machine with the PowerLogix G3 Zif 800. I think that may be a good move as it's 300 clams.

Pardon my typing errors as I'm on some and vicadin right now. I had a major back injury over the weekend and can't walk. This stuff makes me float and spaceout.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
it's exhausting explaining this all over again. Transitions are hard, there's always a period of unsupported freefall. we haven't had that yet, thanks to classic. but without it, we have not had full adaptation by developers. it will simply not come for probably a year or two unless apple cuts off 9 for good. it's what they're doing, and it's perfectly correct, from a business and software point of view.

if you're so upset by it, switch to PCs, and see if the next version of Windows runs an older version of windows to support legacy applications. i think not. Apple has only had to do it this once, but in the windows world, it happens every couple of years--

pnw

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
dood unless quark becomes os x native, the people who haven't switched to os x (not including those who are so ignorant they don't even know it exists) aren't going to.

steve mentioned that in his mwsf keynote a couple of weeks ago :rolleyes:

don't worry bout spacing out. i feel like like killing someone b/c the chemo's killing me.

edit: I'm just really glad that the new macs don't boot in os 9. it's a really old OS. what do you expect! it's not like microsoft still uses windows nt in windows xp (oh wait they do)

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Originally posted by paulwhannel
it's exhausting explaining this all over again. if you're so upset by it, switch to PCs, and see if the next version of Windows runs an older version of windows to support legacy applications. i think not. Apple has only had to do it this once, but in the windows world, it happens every couple of years--
pnw

Dood, go take nap, we don't want you fallin down:D
I'm going to assume by your post that you don't use the Mac to make your living, nor do you have a large investment in PCi cards or software that doesn't work in X, otherwise you might understand that this is more than just switching to a pc, which would be even more of a pain:D
I thought apple wanted to sell computers:confused:
daniel

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Originally posted by pgwalsh
[B
Pardon my typing errors as I'm on some and vicadin right now. I had a major back injury over the weekend and can't walk. This stuff makes me float and spaceout. [/B]

Hey your typing is still alot better than mine:D
Save some of that V for me:D
daniel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.