Shouldn't Apple give a free upgrade to the Leopard OS for new buyers ??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sandy44, Dec 6, 2006.

1. sandy44 macrumors newbie

All PC vendors like DELL and others are giving a free upgrade from XP to Vista on any PC/laptop purchases since about September. Shouldnt Apple also do the same for their Leopard OS ?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

In the past, they've provided it within 30 days of purchase, for a modest S&H fee (like $10).

3. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

You'll probably get the lowest version of Vista with those deals, which, rumor has it, isn't even as good as the current XP Pro. Plus, it isn't as big of a deal for Mac users because our operating system doesn't cost $700.

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

microsoft also gives virus to people who buy XP, OS X doesn't give that either:p

5. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

That's because it took Microsoft five years to get Vista out the door.
    Apple releases one around every eighteen months.

So many people where are waiting for Vista to come out before buying a new computer, computer manufactures had to do something to get more sales.

6. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

and that Microsoft is losing customers while Apple is gaining

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Microsoft had to offer that promotion because Vista is years late, and PC manufacturers have been afraid that hardware sales would continue to suffer without a modern operating system.

None of that applies to Apple, so they don't currently need to throw in free paring knives with their vegomatics.

8. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

I don't think Dell is giving away free upgrades. I think they discount it to $20. Every PC vendor is different when it comes to upgrades...

9. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

That's not true. I purchased a Dell PC in October and didn't get a voucher. Where's your source?

10. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

No, Dell is giving vouchers with new computers for Vista. A friend of mine just bought a new desktop and received one.

I still don't think Apple has to or should give vouchers for Leopard. There's just no need to..

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In the past, Apple has only provided "free"* OS upgrades on Macs purchased after the shipping date of the new OS, on which the new OS was not preloaded. Everybody else pays full freight.

*For $20 s/h.

12. gnasher729 macrumors Pentium

gnasher729

If Microsoft gave a free copy of Vista to every customer who bought a PC with Windows XP after the first planned release data for Vista...

Lots of companies paid money to receive all new OS versions from Microsoft for five years. Guess what they got. Nothing.

13. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The difference between Leopard and Vista is Microsoft announced a ship date for Vista. Apple has yet to provide any additional information on Leopard. We can speculate, but Leopard could come as soon as March or as a late as next summer.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Personally, I'd like to see Apple provide more incentive for users of older versions of OSX to upgrade, possibly though a subscription program. We've got a lot of laggards out there. After complaints they did start offering the "family pack" with 10.3, but this is only a good deal if you have more than two Macs requiring an upgrade, and only for home users. The fact that they charge exactly the same to upgrade one .X upgrade as for two or three, creates an incentive for people to put off the upgrade for as long as possible.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Just to clear this up Apple does have a history of offering the new OS at discount or even free if you just bought a machine within a certain time frame.
    As a new Owner of a Dell E521 the vista upgrade costs you $10 for shipping and handling and they send you the Vista version that matches the XP. So say you get the XP media center version with your new purchase then the coupon is for Vista media Center.

Its true Microsoft was holding down new machine sales because people were waiting for Vista rather then getting stuck with the old OS. Microsoft did the right thing and its what made me bite on that new dell.:)

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The certain timeframe for a "free" (for $20) upgrade being the very narrow window of time mentioned above. If you buy a Mac before Leopard ships, unless Apple's policy changes, you're in for full price. The only OS discount I ever recall seeing was for educational customers, and only one time.

17. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

The above is just plain wrong, or at the least a serious distortion of the facts. Apple has always offered an education discount ($69) and has always offered free ($10-$20 for S/H) upgrades for anyone who buys a new Mac 30 days before release of the announced ship date of the new OS. Basically it usually boils down to this: Once Apple announces a firm ship date for the new OS you will get it for free when buying a new computer. If you buy before that ship date is announced you pay $129 (or $69 if you are an edu customer).

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Usually after the shipping date announcement, the last one gave people 2 weeks before the new OS started shipping.

So if it is similar this time, the OS will be announced mid-April (aka Tiger shipping announced April 12th 2005) and ship at the end of the month (Tiger ship date April 29, 2005).

Everyone who buys after the shipping date announcement (or gets a Leopardless machine after this date) would get a S&H upgrade under the up-to-date program (Tiger Up-to-Date was for purchases on or After 12th 2005).

19. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

haha.

but seriously, Apple has only previewed the OS. Vista has a shipping date. If a Leopard ship date is announced at MWSF07 then I'd assume there would be consideration for people purchasing from that day forward. The standard $20 upgrade as has been mentioned before.

20. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Only because they want to sell computers this holiday season. :p

21. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

This is so far the only right quote for OSX upgrades. I ran the Tiger release party at my store 2 years ago. They had to buy with in the 10 Business days before the actual release. You received a form to send in with the price of shipping and they shipped you a "drop in DVD" of OSX. The boxes that were already in store and got to the date of release had a drop in DVD in the box for the upgrade.

Kevin

22. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

True.

lol.

23. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

VISTA was announced to be released in 2004. Why wasn't it free since then?

It is because they are 3 years old. It is because the PC industry is losing millions of dollars because of MicroZift's screwup. If M$ didn't offer a free upgrade then the christmas shopping freenzy will be in jeaopredy.

24. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I think this whole idea of free OS upgrades goes along with the Windows/PC mentality. People want Macs to be cheap, as in cost less and seem to want stuff for free too. PCs are typically less expensive machines but you get what you pay for: lower quality build, a lesser OS, and not nearly the bundled nor integrated apps that Macs come with. People are starting to come around to Macs for all those reasons, but still complain that they don't get it for the PC price tag. You don't hear people who buy nicer cars complaining that they should have cost less. That's the difference between a BMW or Audi and a Honda or Toyota.

As far as the OS goes, you don't have to upgrade. Many people continued to run OS 9 long after OS X was released for a variety of reasons. Many of them didn't upgrade until 10.2 or 10.3 whereas others upgraded to 10, 10.1, 10.2, etc. My G4 still has 10.3 on it and I didn't make the move to 10.4 until getting a Mini last month. One reason I got the Mini was to save $200 by getting my 24" iMac after Leopard is out so it has both that and iLife '07. I will then sell my Mini (of course it helps I already have a buyer for it). Just because 10.5 comes out doesn't mean you have to have it. Your machine will run just fine on 10.4 If you really need it, $129 isn't alot. And you'd rather not pay that, then wait to get your machine.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh my.

I was trying to respond to the point that Apple has a history of offering discounts on OS upgrades. Not to the general public, they don't. They offer educational discounts on virtually everything, but only to those who qualify.

I'm not entirely sure what "release of the announced ship date" means, but if Steve stands on the stage at MacWorld on January 9 and announces the release of Leopard, to ship at the end of the month, then everybody who buys a Mac from then on either gets it pre-installed, or has historically been entitled to a "free-for-$20" upgrade. But if they bought a Mac on January 8, then they are probably going to have to fork out the full price. Has Apple ever backdated that offer by 30 days? Possibly, but I don't recall it.