shouldn't my scanner work through classic?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shanner, Dec 13, 2004.

1. shanner macrumors member

Jul 21, 2004
    I'm using a Microtek 'ArtixScanner 1100' which for some reason only works through OS9. When i'm using that OS it works ok, but shouldn't it open through classic when I'm using OSX.

....just thought of something - i've got photoshop 6, would that have anything to do with it?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    As you should know, SCSI is not supported by the standard installation of MacOS X 10. Microtek's driver for SCSI-only scanners work only under MacOS 9.
  3. pncc macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    That is not true. Built in SCSI in beige and older macs is NOT supported, but 3rd party SCSI IS supported by OS X. I am using a ATTO SCSI card in my G4 right now under OS X 10.3.

What mac are you using?
    What SCSI card? Built in or 3rd party?
    What version of OS X?

I just looked at the Microtek site, and there are drivers for 10.1 and 10.2.8 they say they are writing 10.3 drivers. If your SCSI interface works under OS X, you can make this work under 10.1 or 10.2 with the newest drivers. If you are using Panther, you can either wait or buy Vuescan from hamrick software. It lists support for the Artix1100.
  4. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Before shooting-off again, read carefully. I said standard installation. Adding third-party equipment is not standard installation. This is a an issue in this case because shanner wants to use the scanner in Classic rather than natively in MacOS X.
  5. pncc macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    Shanner didn't specify what hardware he has. I don't know if he has been using a 3rd party SCSI card under OS 9, do you??

If you look in the System/Library/Extensions folder, you will find a number of builtin 3rd party SCSI, ATA and other kernel extensions that come with OS X.
    SCSI support IS built into OS X, IF it is the right PCI expansion card.

If he has an add-on SCSI card that is supported by OS X, then a standard install of the Microtek scanner software will allow native compatibility of his scanner under OS X 10.1-10.2.8.
    Also, I doubt Shanner would prefer to use his scanner in Classic if he could use it natively under OS X.
  6. shanner thread starter macrumors member

Jul 21, 2004
    I'm using a G4. OSX.1.5 and I put the SCSI card in myself, but I cant remember what kind it was or anything.
    I certainly would like to use the scanner in OSX but didn't know it was an option.
    I just saw the drivers on the Microtek site...'ScanWizard Pro v7.01', maybe that's the way to go.

Thanks for your help.
  7. pncc macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    OK, now that is settled, you need to find out what SCSI card you have. SOME cards have built-in support in OS X; some need driver and/or firmware upgrades, and some won't work. In OS 9, run the Apple System profiler and click on the PCI slot menu, tell me what is says for PCI cards installed.
  8. shanner thread starter macrumors member

Jul 21, 2004
    Card type - not available
    card name - pci9004,7850
    card model - -1
    cardROM - Not available
    card revision - 3
    card vendor id - 9004
  9. pncc macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    Well, that is useful isn't it? ;-)

I just did a Google search on "card name - pci9004,7850"

It appears to be a Adaptec 2906 card.
    I am running OS X 10.3.5 and my System/Library/Extensions folder has a Adaptec 290x-2930.kext file version 1.1

Look and see if you have this file or something like it. if not, go here:

and download it and install it. Reboot and see what happens. Make sure the scanner is powered on before you boot up the computer

I assume that your scanner has a SCSI terminator on it?
  10. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004

The 2906 doesn't need any drivers in OSX. I have one in my G4 tower and it works flawless (I have an external zip and cd burner on it..)
  11. shanner thread starter macrumors member

Jul 21, 2004
    I do have 'Adaptec 290x-2930.kext' in extensions alright. still no luck
    scanner has terminator 'on' and set to '6'
  12. pncc macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    OK, have you installed the new Microtek scanner driver?
    Do you have any other SCSI devices yuo can test like a Zip drive?

You probably have the SCSI chain setup correctly, but could you explain EXACTLY how it is setup? What devices in the chain, what order, length of cable, where terminator is-is it a passthrough terminator or closed??

What version of OS X are you using again?

This SHOULD work! Let's figure out why it doesn't.
  13. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
    Wow, I have to comment here. A few months ago I went through this whole thing in this forum with my migration to OS X with a Umax scanner I have a G3 at work with a SCSI Umax Poerlook III that works beautifully in OS 9.2 But when I boot to OS X it won't even show up in OS X or 9. After spending weeks trying to get Umax to tell me what the issue was and finding a different scanning software, I finally gave in and got a "SCSI to Firewire" converter and it seams to work OK now using the SilverFast SE scanning software. If I wanted to put out $300+ I could get the upgrade and be able to use the SCSI but hey if it ain't broke (yet)........

PS i trried to go to but they dropped the item from the current catalog.
    try here: scsi adapter

Good Luck
  14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    No, classic killed a lot of the direct hardware using drivers -- thus many scanners and printers die under classic.

Since the driver is DOA under classic, it's not a SCSI issue -- you need a new scanner driver that'll work under OS X/Classic.

Some people offer a bunch of legacy scanner/printer drivers for the scanner companies that opted to not support older scanners...

Lot's of people run through this when old devices drivers die in the moved to OS X -- it's something people compained about.

Lucky for me, my Umax scanner actually worked using an older Umax driver.

So I didn't need to buy a new scanner, printer, or any driver software packages.

EDIT: of course SCSI drivers are direct HW drivers under OS 9, so they also fail when moving to OS X -- and quite a few legacy cards there with no drivers.