Shove it.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SiliconAddict, Nov 16, 2005.

1. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Just had a relative call me up. . .Needed help. They installed a new DLS connection to their computer. AFAIK no router in between the system and the net. So their computer is [insert gratuitous compairsaon between the PC and a Vegas hooker.
    Well she calls me up that the connection is messed up and the tech support from the IPS said they might have a virus. Why wouldn't I be surprised? I basically blew her off for the most part as gentle as I could. I'm sorry but I'm the god damn reason Microass Windows stays on top of the pile. Free damn support. No more damn it. I'm not supporting anyone. You either figure it out yourself or let Geek Squad rape you with their rates. You jack***** don't want to go Mac. That's fine. Your decision. But you deal with the consequences. I’m not aiding you in your crack....Microsoft addiciton.

Wow that was therapeutic. :)

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i know how you feel, and i have done the same to my family, they get a virus, i'm not helping, you get a mac and i will help.....

i am sick of dealing with other people's issues on windows... i hate it.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I refuse to help people with windows, unless it is the hospital then well i have to

4. applegirl macrumors regular

applegirl

I haven't had a peecee since January; I used to work at a helpdesk and after I quit people STILL kept coming up to me asking for help every time their computer went kaput (my apartment-mate was knocking on my door for help at least once a week). After a while I realized that the best technique (for me anyway) was to say that I don't use a PC so I forgot how to fix them (ehh, the knowledge was fading...). It worked; she got fed up with asking me for help for things I "didn't remember how" to fix. :)

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I feel your pain. There's nothing more challenging than a Yiddish, Windows addict.

:D I know, I know.....

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I had someone call me... MIDNIGHT ON A SUNDAY.
    "omgmycomputerdoesn'tworkandIdon'tknowwhy!!"

yeah.
    No.

*click*

/I'm not your tech support
    //show me some cash and I will
    ///$202 to be exact.. ;)

7. mac-er macrumors 65816

If I told my parents I wasn't helping them just because they had a Windows computer....they would tell me to go to hell.

8. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I hate this. I also hate people who know nothing about macs (or even pcs) and say that pcs are better. Questions from dumbass PC friend.

-I got a new dvd burner, how do I burn DVDs?
    I even showed him how but he still asks other people.

-What's the best company that makes macs? Brilliant. :rolleyes:

-You can't upgrade anything in a mac unless you know brain surgery

Very, very sad attitude.

9. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Tough love! I cut off my mother and step-father for Windows support a year ago when I gave them my old Mac. Spent a lot of time showing them the ins and out of OS X and wrote a ton of stickies to help them. I got calls just about every weekend and then bought them a Mac book. Told them they would have to read it if they wanted my help. Also gave them access to my .Mac account to watch the support movies.

Got a call from my step-father this past Sunday. When he called, I asked him what the problem was since that's the only reason he calls me. Nothing he said, just wanted to tell you that I bought an HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One and am sending you some new pics of my niece and nephew. Hooked it up, had to download drivers but got it working all by myself.

When my jaw was lifted off the ground, I told him I was very proud of him.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I help my friends and family.

The only exception to this are hot girls. I'll always have time to help out hot girls with their computer trouble, unless they're not interested in me. So basically, I don't help any hot girls with anything.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Oooh, don't we all just know how you feel and empathise...

I've now gone for the 'knowledge-fade' excuse myself, particularly when they're asking over the phone. I just can't talk them through the steps any longer and it's painful asking them to read things out to me.

When both mother and sister needed new computers over the past 18 months, I told them both that if they wanted telephone support from me, it had better be a Mac. Thankfully both listened. My aunt still has an old Windows box which each time I've visited her recently has taken me 6 hours or so of messing about with to clean it up - particularly tough since she can't find her original system discs to reformat it. She's looking at an iMac next time round though...;)

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

9:00AM: Start work on my uncle's router. His six anti-spyware apps won't work in unison and simply will not let him connect to his wireless network. I've never seen a more useless AU$3500 laptop.

10:15AM: It's working, so the email from my granddad downloads asking me to help him reinstall 95 because he gets eight warning dialogue boxes every time he boots up.

3:00PM: Not getting anywhere fast so I trundle off to my iBook for some therapeutically bad hip hop through AirTunes on my perfectly capable wireless network and thank the Sun Lord for OSX. :(

13. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You're not this guy are you Abstract...? ;) :eek: :p

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yep, that's me. ;)

"Will fix computers for sexual favours. Let Abstract remove one type of virus, and give you another."

15. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

16. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

My shirt would say something stupid, like "My floppy is 5 1/4".

the back: "I would NEVER admit to 3 1/2".

:p

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Hey, shorty. I've got an 8" floppy here.

;)

18. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

It is 1:33am Fri morning.

I am defragging a new hard drive after spending 10 hours wrestling with a friend's screwed up XP SP2 (combo of AOL and a couple of nasties) and giving up on the old hard disk (it was small and old anyway), then installing XP SP2 on a new drive.

XP SP2 (same SP2 cd and same hardware) refused to recognise the modem and NIC at 5pm even though they had been working on the previous installation on the old hard disk around 3pm. Tried downloading new drivers using the Mac, then loading on cd. Nup.

Cannibalised an ancient box for its modem. Installed that. Got the driver off the web. Got connected. Installed and updated AVG. Installed iTunes, Office, other stuff. Rebuilt the iTunes library & restored documents from D:

Not even going to attempt Win & Office update without broadband. She can buy a USB ethernet dongle. I've had it.

NO MORE!!!!

Edit: not to mention the spyware & other stuff that found its way onto the PC with standard software installs. Aaargh!!!