Show Address Bar in FInder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gary King, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

How do I show the Address Bar in Finder, like how Windows has it? So I can see what folder I'm in; I know that I can cmd-click on folder name, but I'd rather have an editable textbox.

Thanks! :)

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

not sure if i understand your question but i think i do...why not change the finder view to columns....

3. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I agree with the post above!
    I have column view as default in Finder - as I like situational awareness...
    and like to know where I am.

4. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

While column view is infinitely useful, I do miss the ability to see information on a file or folders like in XP, by just hovering over the selection. Sometimes i'll have a folder full of pictures that i wish to look at in icon view, yet the only way i can gain info about it's size, creation date, camera model, etc... is to do a get-info? This is a very minor gripe I know, but I do believe OS X can do a better job of file information display. Movie icon previews anyone??

Sorry to the original poster for not having any useful info to add ,but I just wanted to know if it's maybe something Im missing also. Otherwise, I am in love with OS X!

5. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Columns view is okay, but an address bar would still be nicer :)

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You can:
    a) cmd-click the folder icon on top of the Finder window
    or
    b) right/ctrl-click in the toolbar (or use View-menu) to choose "Customize Toolbar...", and add the Path-icon.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Am I the only one who prefers it as is? It's much simpler without a bar telling me how to get to where I already am.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i certainly like the Finder just the way it is as well

to the Original Poster.... check out versiontracker.com for Finder replacements that are just like the Explorer in Windows, that may be just what you are after

9. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

If you want the functionality of an address bar, you can just select Go > Go to Folder with a Finder window open. Personally I don't use this unless there's an invisible directory I need to get to...

As for how I like the Finder, I actually preferred the Jaguar-style Finder - It had a much cleaner, faster feeling to it and it lacked that icky brushed metal. don't get me wrong, brushed metal looks good on some apps (iTunes for example) but it just doesn't belong on Finder windows.

10. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I knew about your first suggestion.. but not the second!
    Thanks I might try that one out for a while and see if I use the Path icon / button.

Cheers!

11. doobiedog macrumors newbie

address bar

I like the usability factor regarding address bar on the Mac. The problem I have with it is that there is no way I know of to copy and past an address from the address bar into something like the terminal.

12. boonedocks macrumors newbie

One trick is that you can drag a folder into the terminal window and it will place the address at the prompt.

13. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

There is a path bar in Leopard…just go to the view menu and select "Show Path Bar"

14. kendallb macrumors newbie

Editable address bar

The thing I miss most about the Windows XP file explorer is not so much knowing where I am with the address bar, but the fact that I can edit it easily to move from folder to folder without having to browse around using the mouse. It would be really nice if the Finder had an address bar with the current path in it, that you can edit to quickly change from one directory to another. As a programmer, I am moving from directory to directory, and they may be in vastly different locations. Or I may need to connect to a file server that is mounted. It is a whole lot faster for me to type /Volumes/Blah than it is to grab the mouse and click around until I can get to the volume I need.

The other thing that would be nice if if the Finder would show the mounted volumes in the left pane. It only shows the connected server, not the mount points. So if I have a directory mounted that is deep within the server file hierarchy, I have to browse down to it with a whole bunch of mouse clicks, yet, right on the desktop, I have nice graphical links to the mount points!

Also, most of this I don't just wish for in finder windows, but also in the file browser windows when you are opening a file (or saving a file) in programs.

15. kendallb macrumors newbie

Actually, this is especially in the file open browser. It drives me nuts that there is no way to enter a path or filename to open, and the ONLY way to open a file is to use the mouse! Gads, every time I have to reach for the mouse, it just slows me down ....

16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not quite the same, but if you use cmd-shift-G you get the Goto menu which is quite handy.

Not as handy as using the Terminal with the "open path/to/folder" command, with auto-completion using the tab, but still... ;)

Try cmd-downarrow when the file(s) are selected in Finder.

Alternatively, just use a Launcher like QuickSilver or - my favourite - LaunchBar

17. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Exactly. I find this to be identical to what is in Windows.

18. madog macrumors 65816

madog

That's news to me. I never tried to customize the toolbar in Leopard, just figured it was the same stuff as with Tiger. Sounds good to me as sometimes I find that info very useful (and comforting). Will check it out once I get home. Weeeeeee!

19. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

20. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

There is always Quicksilver. Hit "." type your path and select open.

21. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Ah, I did not know about that.
    Thanks.

Still not the same though ;) One of the things I will have to get used to doing differently.

22. kendallb macrumors newbie

I had no idea about the 'Goto' window! I will use that a lot from now on. Why is this stuff so hidden though? Seems like many people would find it useful, so why not just have a path edit box in the file open/save dialogs?

I will try these out, and I will also try out Quick Silver and Launcher. I actually already downloaded those to check them out, but have not had the time. Maybe I should move that up in priority :).

23. ronanj macrumors newbie

Address bar in Leopard

Agreed with all of the posts about missing the address bar from Windows, it's dead handy. And great to be able to navigate to it with alt-S (or alt-A, depends on the language installed), then select and edit text with ctrl-arrows, copy/delete/paste, etc.

Just found in Leopard a menu option
    View -> Show Path Bar
    So at the bottom you get a graphical path bar showing you where you are. Handy if you like icons view but still want to know your location like in column view. You can navigate back by double-clicking on folders. Note that a folder's full path is viewable in Get Info, but stupidly you can't select the text to copy the path to the clipboard :(

24. iBug2 macrumors 68040

When a window is open, go to Finder/Services/TextEdit/New Window Containing Selection

This will open a text edit document with the path of the active window.

That's if you want to copy/paste it to somewhere else. You can also make an applescript or automator finder plugin doing the exact same thing and assign a keyboard shortcut to it with a 3rd party utility like quickkeys. F

For example I have a apple script in my finder which copies the filepath to clipboard.

You can also do cut/paste in a similar fashion.

Apple's finder may not be complete but it's very expandable if you research a bit.

25. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Windows must have liked it, too, because Vista has the same arrangement!

If you really need a file's path, then I strongly suggest you check out FilePathCM from Limit Point Software. One reasonable donation gives you access to his library of utilities. I use several everyday, including FilePathCM.

mt