Show Desktop Through Firewire?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by robotjustin, Feb 24, 2004.

1. robotjustin macrumors newbie

Any way or utility to output the desktop through firewire?

Need just the desktop projected through a projector and don't have a video card.

Thanks!

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

if you have another mac

you can mount the hard drive through firewire from another mac. I know it involves holding down T at start up, but there might be other keys.

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

FW is a data port... you need an output from a video port. so i don't think there's much you can do.

projector is usually made to decode video information. it won't know what to do with data. it would be like asking tv to visualize stereo music input.

4. robotjustin thread starter macrumors newbie

Originally posted by jxyama [/i]
    FW is a data port... you need an output from a video port. so i don't think there's much you can do.

projector is usually made to decode video information. it won't know what to do with data. it would be like asking tv to visualize stereo music input.

Well, for example you can output to video through After Effects. I'd really just want to output the contents of a quicktime box. I could run the signal through my camera to the projector.

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

whatever the format you send the data to to the projector, the project has to have a way to decode it. so, yeah, if you have a camera with QT decoder and video out, then projector can take the video from the camera and project it.

however, afaik, projectors come with video decoder, not QT or other movie data decoders...

6. robotjustin thread starter macrumors newbie

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Quick question...

You don't have any type of video card? How do you use your monitor?

8. robotjustin thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Quick question...

No, of course I have a video card, I'm running a G5.

Let me clarify the problem:

I'm doing a live video performance that requires me to play quicktime clips. I can just go out through a ADC to VGA converter, but I'm concerned about seeing the Quicktime boxes, and due to the nature of what I'm creating, I cannot go full screen (i need to be able to use the controls and the slider with a mouse in realtime.)

9. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Re: Re: Quick question...

I think you may be SOL if you don't just use quicktime, full screen it, and use keyboard shortcuts to manipulate where you want to be in the video.

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

Re: Re: Quick question...

Ok, now your question makes a lot more sense. Unfortunately, it looks like output through iMovie or FCE/FCP is your best bet, and I think that in both cases you need to go into "export" mode to send video out--there's no way to do a live preview on a camera, letting you scrub, etc.

I did find a small demonstration application that Apple produced (it is buried in the Quicktime developer section somewhere) that will let you export any quicktime format directly to a DV stream, but it didn't work terribly well and caused all kinds of kernel panics as of 10.2 (never tried it under 10.3).

Probably your best bet is VLC or another media player, playing fullscreen on a 2nd monitor, with the control palette on your main monitor--letting you move things around without interfereing with the video or making the user interface visible.

There may be a software tool designed to do things like this somewhere, though--good luck finding it if it exists.

11. robotjustin thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Re: Quick question...

Just found this - I'll see if it works!Thanks for your help, you helped me get my brain spinning.

Professional Strength
    Seagull Video Player Professional Edition is now available! Seagull Video Player Professional Edition gives video professionals all of the features of the Standard Edition, including multiple playlists and powerful sorting capabilities, plus you can output to QuickTime Video Output Components such as digital video cameras, monitors, etc. Seagull Video Player Professional Edition costs $89.95 for a site license. This license can be used for all Macintosh and Windows versions of Seagull Video Player Professional Edition at your site.