"Show Displays in Menu Bar" option missing in retina MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pipper99, Jun 12, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

I can't find his option on my new retina MBP either before or after applying software updates: it's still there in Displays prefs on my iMac after all software updates. I can't find any info on whether Apple took out this option, hid it or moved it. Has anyone heard anything about this? If you have a retina MBP, do you have this option?

2. macrumors regular

I just picked up a Retina MBP today (LOVE IT!), and also cannot find this option anymore under system prefs...the display unit at the apple store had it?!? :confused:

3. macrumors member

It's missing on my RMBP as well. Bring it back Apple!

4. macrumors 6502

I'm sure someone can come up with a little terminal tweak

5. macrumors newbie

I'm missing this menu item too :(

Does anybody know a terminal command to enable it?

6. macrumors member

Display preferences was there when first installed, but after I installed a few apps it went away.

There must be something that disabled it, the most likely suspect is SwitchResX but I can't be sure. Anyone?

7. macrumors member

so is it me remembering it incorrectly or was it missing in the first place?

8. macrumors 604

theSeb

It's gone. Mine was there originally, but I migrated from another Mac, but it was just the icon and the ability to go into display preferences. I could not set resolutions directly using the menu that pop up when you click on the icon.

Now it's gone completely and I am not sure when it disappeared.

9. macrumors member

This issue seems to affect retina MBP only? I have another regular MBP that was upgraded from Lion, the display preferences icon is retained.

10. macrumors 604

theSeb

I think the 2012 MBA does the same thing. All of my other Macs don't do it. If it annoys you, then you won't be happy with ML.