"Show us your Lark pack!"

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If you're really getting up there (like me :rolleyes: ), you'll remember that phrase as the advertising slogan for Lark cigarettes. They'd have a roving camera, and when they'd ask that question, you'd see shots of people leaning out of bus windows, standing on bridges, taking strolls, whatever, with their hands raised showing you their pack of Lark cigarettes.

(That was before cancer stick ads were banned from TV, of course. Heck, I don't even know if Lark is still around -- I don't smoke and don't pay attention to tobacco products -- but it must've been a good campaign if it stuck in my head this long.)

So the question of the day is, do you know any obsolete, long-forgotten advertising slogans?

I can think of a few more:

"You can trust your car to the man who wears the star:
    the big, bright Texaco star."

"See the USA in your Chevrolet!"

"A silly millimeter longer" (Benson & Hedges 101s, cigarettes so named because of their length)

...and one they're still doing variations on today:

"He likes it! Hey, Mikey!" (Life cereal)

2. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

" i never wanna grow up, im a toys r us kid" haven't heard that in a looooong time.

3. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

"Hæng dem ikke I bagateller - brug Randers Reb"

This is an old Danish classic from Randers Reb, producers of quality rope. Attempt at English version:

"Don't get hung up in trifles - use Randers Rope"

Hope the point survived my translation... in Danish it's a bit more morbid I guess...

A

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

How about the classic "Where's the beef?" :D

I remember an add for "Zips" shoes (at least that's what I think they were called" in every commercial they had the kids make a "Z" pattern in the ground before the took off running. Don't know why that stuck in my head... but I'm sure it will come in useful one of these days!
    Perhaps 'troubles' would be a better translation than 'trifles'... not that I speak Danish at all, just that it sounds better in english my way. ;)

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Space is big
    Space is dark
    It's hard to find
    A place to park
    BURMA SHAVE

6. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

You might be right... the original point, though, is that if you're gonna hang yourself, then do it with some proper rope :eek:

A

7. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Ah the lovely Danish sense of humour :p.
    "You've been tangoed" - haven't seen them in a long time. Are they still around. For anyone who doesn't know what Tango is - it's like Fanta but worse

8. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

"I wish I were an Oscar-Myer Weiner"

or how about

"This is your brain,
    This is your brain on drugs,
    Any questions?"

Attached Files:

9. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Don't remember what exactly it was for but I'll never for this line: "Bo knows..." where Bo Jackson would say Bo knows baseball, Bo knows football, Bo knows kit flying, etc... (OK, I made the kit flying one up :) )

10. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I think there was a song that went "Z Z Z Zips are a lot of fun, ... " I forget the rest :rolleyes:

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, that was a very well-known public service announcement (PSA).

You made me think of another one. I can't remember how the narration goes (if there was any), but it showed a Native American standing on the shore of New York or New Jersey and looking at the grey, smog-filled sky and the trashed-up, polluted beach...and as the camera pulled in tight to him, a single tear fell from his face, because of what the White Man had done to his beautiful land.

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

13. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

It's great irony when people remember the slogan, but not the product it was supposed to advertise:D

A

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Ah yes, the classic PSA with Iron Eyes Cody (which has GOT to be one of the best Native American names I have ever heard). Here's a link to the ad campaign.