Show users connected to my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Coheebuzz, Dec 15, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

Coheebuzz

Quick question here, is there any way that i can get notified when someone wants to access my Mac using Personal File Sharing, with wireless or LAN and also list the IP's or usernames of people that are connected?

Something in the form of a menu addition or a widget would be perfect.

Thanks.

2. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

If anyone is connected to your network the name of the computer connected will show up in finder under network.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Coheebuzz

Strange, the only thing am getting under Network is a .local shortcut to my own Home folder. This is while there are 2 users connected via Personal File Sharing to my computer, that i connected myself. My computer name shows in the Network window of them though.

Any thoughts?

4. macrumors regular

On some wireless netowrks, you can get a local network summary by looking up your router

For example, my router is 172.xx.x.x

So, on a webpage, I go to http://172.xx.x.x and I can see all of the active computers on my network.

I'm not sure this works for everyone's network, mind you.

5. macrumors G4

Not sure if you can do it with Personal File Sharing, but if you use Windows Sharing (smb shares), you can use the "Net Status Sessions" command in terminal to get the details you want

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Coheebuzz

Its an Airport Express and AFAIK there is no configuration page.

Also i only tried to connect a few Mac's, no pc's yet so i don't use Windows Sharing.

Anyway the thing that puzzles me now, is that if there is no way of knowing whose connected to your Mac, or at least a place where all usernames (or better MAC addresses) are logged, then how do you know who got in and stole your granmas secret recipes??

There must be a cool terminal command that does the job.