Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
I've seen the CNET video and read the specs... AppleWatch water resistant up to 1meter/3ft for 30mins (IPX7 rating). BUT... had to see for myself (I got AppleCare)

Burn calories while showering... on a side note my watch was off the charge for at least 30+ mins at the time and it was still at 100% battery. An hour later at my desk and its at 99% I have zero battery life worries

Attachments

• IMG_7503.jpg
    IMG_7503.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 387

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
I wanted to try showering with it on but was afraid due to the force of the water potentially causing water ingress into the critical components of the watch.

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
Part of the rating it has means it passed a force water test... But yeah why risk it

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Sorry but I see little point in showering with the watch. Just because you can does not mean you should.

This, he's asking for trouble if he wants to keep getting it wet. You can make the argument that you shower with your other mechanical watches, but this isn't a mechanical watch, this is an electronics device and wether Apple Says its water proof or not, why would you purposefully go out of your way to test this theory. Again, your asking for trouble.

joshcls

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
Panama City, FL
This, he's asking for trouble if he wants to keep getting it wet. You can make the argument that you shower with your other mechanical watches, but this isn't a mechanical watch, this is an electronics device and wether Apple Says its water proof or not, why would you purposefully go out of your way to test this theory. Again, your asking for trouble.

Because he can?

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Part of the rating it has means it passed a force water test... But yeah why risk it

No it doesn't. It has an IPX7 rating which is a static water test only. If it had passed other tests, they would be listed on Apple's data sheet. IPX 7 is not inclusive of other tests.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
No it doesn't. It has an IPX7 rating which is a static water test only. If it had passed other tests, they would be listed on Apple's data sheet. IPX 7 is not inclusive of other tests.

From the user guide

"Exposure to liquid Apple Watch is water resistant but not waterproof. You may, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise (exposure to sweat is OK), in the rain, and while washing your hands. If water splashes on to the watch, wipe it off with a nonabrasive, lint-free cloth."
"Submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant. Water resistance is not a permanent condition and Apple Watch cannot be rechecked or resealed for water resistance. The following may affect the water resistance of Apple Watch and should be avoided:

Dropping Apple Watch or subjecting it to other impacts.

Submerging Apple Watch in water for long periods of time.

Swimming or bathing with Apple Watch.

Exposing Apple Watch to pressurized water or high velocity water, for example, showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on.

Wearing Apple Watch in the sauna or steam room."

chasteve

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2009
can we wash the applewatch?

It was suggested not to wear watch while taking a bath. How about washing the watch after the exercise? Do you get wet after running for miles? Soon, the applewatch and the strip will smell like ???

Is it okay to use soap to wash it and dry it with paper towel? or any suggestion?

Dumbinho

macrumors regular
May 10, 2014
I never understood people that take shower with their watches. What's the point?
Aren't you gonna scrub your skin under watch? Why don't you wear glasses while taking a shower while you're at it. Or sleep with your work clothes including socks and boots.

AbeFrohman

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Aside from the arguments about water ingress and ratings, I won't be showering with mine is because of the gunk factor.

I'd rather not have a build up of soap residue in any of the books & crannies including the watch band channel.

shox2k2

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Wichita, KS
We had a pretty good rain shower yesterday while I was delivering the mail. Thats really my only concern. Well, that and washing hands or watering the yard/garden.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
well how is apple gonna proof that it died showering and not during an horrible rain storm if it does happen

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I never understood people that take shower with their watches. What's the point?
Aren't you gonna scrub your skin under watch? Why don't you wear glasses while taking a shower while you're at it. Or sleep with your work clothes including socks and boots.
It's a matter of convenience. Once you strap it on, you never have to worry about it again, unless it stops working.

The same is true for the reason you remove glasses, and clothes before sleep -- comfort and convenience. Glasses have to be cleaned after they have been gotten wet to avoid water spots in your vision, so that generally creates more problems than it's worth, but I do know some people with very bad eyesight who wear glasses in the shower, or they wouldn't even be able to find the soap when they dropped it. Wearing uncomfortable footwear in bed would not be comfortable and detrimental to the sleep process. The same from bulky work clothing. Besides that the clothes would get wrinkled and transfer dirt to the bedding, again making it more trouble than it's worth. Some people do wear socks and softer pajamas to bed, and I'm sure a few do wear workboots to bed if they are in environments where needing to get up suddenly at night and be immediately alert and ready to move (say a soldier in a war zone).

For me, I wore a watch 24/7 for about a decade. It was a light titanium Citizen chronograph that worked in all settings. I could work out in it, shower in it without worrying about it getting stolen in the locker room, dropping it on the hard tile floor, or misplacing it. It was loose enough on my wrist to allow me to move it enough in either direction to wash beneath it. I could swim in it, I could sit in the hot tub in it, etc. I never had to worry about it ever. I never found it particularly uncomfortable in bed, certainly far more comfortable than any pajamas I've ever worn which tend to bunch and get caught up when you turn during the night, yet millions of people wear some form of clothing to bed.

And as others have pointed out, the Watch offers even more compelling reasons never to take it off, because it can be used to answer that all important phone call, text, or e-mail without exposing your iPhone to water or accidents (I had a friend who knocked his iPhone into the toilet when he reached for it from the shower to take his bosses call). Playing with your children in the pool, while working is priceless.

But that's not an option yet for the Watch, despite the fact I've never seen a watch priced over $350 that wasn't able to withstand IPX 8 30 meters -- a market Apple appears to be competing head to head with unlike their cheaper smart watch competitors.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Sorry but I see little point in showering with the watch. Just because you can does not mean you should.

i use it to control my bluetooth speakers in the bathroom while in the shower. i.e. skip songs.

Honestly? people can't imagine a use for it?

**also want to make sure you aren't taking a too long a shower.
** also someone mentioned, you don't want to miss a call or messages (which i got one while in the shower the other day**

Balthezor

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
PA
If you live alone, are expecting a very important phone call or text, but also need to take a shower.

So how did you do hear the calls before the watch? When I'm on call at the hospital and someone calls me while I'm showering, I can hear it from close by. I don't need a watch to tell me that.

And I agree, why wear it while showering? What is the benefit?

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Lol!

I would leave my phone on the bath counter or even outside the bath door. So you are going to answer the phone while showering via your watch. I have heard the watch speaker and find that function a joke.

I've personally accidentally knocked my phone into the toilet doing that. Friends of mine have dropped the phone on the tile and shattered the glass, and others have had it slip out of their hands and into the shower tub. And yes, I've taken an important call while standing in the shower, with the water off.

Dozens of people are reporting they enjoy making calls via the watch mic/speaker, so perhaps you should have your watch checked. The watch is designed to make a persons life easier by leaving their iPhone stowed and out of harms way. Being able to use it in the shower is an ultimate convenience.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
So how did you do hear the calls before the watch? When I'm on call at the hospital and someone calls me while I'm showering, I can hear it from close by. I don't need a watch to tell me that.

And I agree, why wear it while showering? What is the benefit?

Mine was a hypothetical scenario, since none of my calls or texts are important enough to interrupt my shower, but I was imagining someone with a social life, for example. The new attractive person you recently met (when you were doing something social rather than reading MacRumors) said they will text you later to let you know if that drink will work out or not. You really need to take a shower to be ready just in case, but sure enough that's when the text would come in. Wet fingers don't work well on an iPhone and it's best kept far from the hostile environment of the bathroom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.