Showing Package Contents

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by King Cobra, Jul 23, 2003.

1. King Cobra macrumors 603

If nothing but "control -- click" pops into your mind, then that advice will not work.

It is imperative that I know how to get into an application's package contents without using "ctrl click". The ctrl key on my iBook is broken.

Yes, I have Applecare, but I would like some sort of a key command, menu option, or drop app.
    No, an external keyboard is not an option.
    No, a multi-button mouse is not an option.

What are my alternatives?

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

can you write an applescript for it? if so, you could use a program like Key Xing to make your own key command for it.

3. szark macrumors 68030

szark

You can always use the Terminal to navigate into the App.

I don't have access to my Mac right now, but doesn't the "Show Package Contents" option appear somewhere in the main menu when an item is selected?

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

- King Cobra

The only alternative I can think of is right-clicking with a two button mouse.

However, due to your question, it sounds like you may not have one. But I tried!

5. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

>You can always use the Terminal to navigate into the App.

That is true. I have been able to do that. But is there any way to have the Terminal make that navigation into a Finder window? If so, what is the command for it?

>doesn't the "Show Package Contents" option appear somewhere in the main menu when an item is selected?

Just ctrl -- click

On occassion I do have access to a second mouse, but not all the time. I say this because it belongs to someone else.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sure is. The open command (which you can also use to open apps and files) will open the directory contents.

If you are in the Applications folder open iPhoto.app will launch the app. But if you cd iPhoto.app and open Contents you should get a Finder window with the Contents folder in it.

7. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Exactly. In order to get into, say, iPhoto, you would use.
    Code:
    open /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents
    For some reason, however, this doesn't always work, and you might have to use sudo open/Appl... to get it to work.

If you need to get to the actuall iPhoto.app folder (the one with the Contents folder, and occasionally other things), just hit cmnd-[up arrow] once you are in the contents folder.

BTW, how broken is your ctrl key anyway? Usually if the key has broken off, you can usually still push the button underneath to get it to work.

8. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

>BTW, how broken is your ctrl key anyway? Usually if the key has broken off, you can usually still push the button underneath to get it to work. (GeeYouEye)

The key can be attached or detached. The "ctrl" key capacitor is broken. It needs repairs.

Appreciations for the open command.

Now I need basic Terminal assistance:

How do you navigate out of your home folder, which is the directory Terminal starts up with, into the Hard Drive/Applications/etc. ?

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

cd /Applications to get there

and

cd ~ to return to your home folder

10. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

Appreciations, B and robbieduncan.

I also found a hack in the application Transparent Dock. There is an option for folder-app navigation into the package contents.

That is all the help I need for now.

11. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Also, you can type cd (followed by a space), and then drag and drop any folder from the Finder into the Terminal -- it will fill in the full pathname at the current cursor position.