Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peteyb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Hello - I'm new here and after searching the forum I couldn't find what I was looking for, so I thought I'd ask. I have an early 2013 Macbook pro that was water damaged. It blinks on but I can't do much more than that so I wish to sell it for spares and repairs. Before I do this though, I wish to remove all the data on it. It has a 512Gb storage device (looks like a stripped down SSD) and I was hoping I could remove it, place it into some sort of adapter and using a USB drive caddy, shred the data with my Windows computer.

This is the part that I would like to wipe: http://www.macpartsonline.com/661-7...etina-13-inch-late-2012-early-2013-a1425.html

I bought an MSATA to SATA adapter, but this doesn't look to be the right item. I think I need a mini PCI adapter, but before I make another incorrect purchase, can someone advise me if this is a good idea or not? Also, I've seen file shredding programs before but if anyone has any recommendations then I'm all ears - I really wouldn't know what's best to go for.

Peteyb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Anyone? This is really important to me and it might be a quick answer to what connector is used in that link I posted.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Apple uses a proprietary interface. I don't think such an adapter exists.

This is one of the reasons why it's a good idea to always use Filevault 2 on a Mac ...

Peteyb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
If it's a proprietary interface then that's understandable - although a shame. I'm really not worried about the data, the laptop was given to me and the person said I can try repairing it if I want, but it's totally fried (they also mentioned that if I do sell it that I have to remove any personal data such as banking info). If the flash drive is working then there's a good £150-£200 second-hand value in that alone. It'd be a shame to chuck it.

The cable that niteflyr suggested looks like the same as the MSATA connector I bought and therefore might not fit... Although thank you for the suggestion :) It'd be interesting if it is a Sata component, although it might once again be an 'Apple SATA' connector.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Reactions: MacInTO

Peteyb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Thank you for the replies :p That's interesting with the Amazon link there. I'd need something in the UK though but that seem to be just what I'm looking for.

I have to agree on that caddy from macsales.com being a bit pricey for a one time use and once again - I'd need something in the UK ;) Good suggestion though, perhaps I should look down the line of similar products locally?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.