Shrub as Prince Hal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Mar 8, 2006.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1726734,00.html

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ouch. Actually, he left out one of the more bizarre Katrina moments, when Bush informed a grateful nation how much he was looking forward to sitting on the porch of Trent Lott's rebuilt home.

3. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

More Malvolio than Falstaff, but the point is taken.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Forget the Shakespearean allusions. Bush is nothing but an aging frat boy, surrounded by his frat bretheren. As a student he was too lazy-minded to do his homework, and he still is. He'd rather be out partying and raising hell. Then it was drunken revelies. Now it's playing war.

We elected a man who, well, just can't be bothered with hard work and decision-making. He's got too many other things on his mind.

What do you suppose he was thinking about during that Katrina briefing? How much he'd rather be back at the Oval Office playing solitaire on his computer? What kind of cushy job his daddy's friends can find for him once he's out of office? How the grain in the wood table he's sitting at almost looks like a face?

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Bourbon.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

too bad it wasn't Bourbon Street.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Does anyone know why new home construction is stymied?

Is this a bureaucratic thing, or are there infrastructure/logistics problems?

I think we need to recruit the Amish.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I suppose it's the same reason they can't get the residents into those empty trailers. :confused:

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's a whole mess of issues, no housing for workers, electricity is still spotty in many areas, the city's finances have taken a major hit so they can't afford to hire the amount of people that's needed to process building apps, much less to hire people like police and EMTs. There's a serious shortage of hospital beds so worker safety is a big issue in regards to companies coming in to do work. No money is being supplied by shrub for rebuilding homes. There's still a big debate surrounding the most flooded areas and whether or not they should be rebuilt. Some homeowners are rebuilding but they don't have any guarantee that in the future they'll have access to utilities or city services much less any hope of flood protection insurance.

Recently the weather bureaus have stated that the 06 Hurricane season could be even bigger than last year's. I'd sure hate to be living anywhere around the Gulf because I don't see a lot of hope for those areas that were hit the hardest, especially if they don't get the levees fixed.

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Thanks Ugg.

I assumed it was as much.

I agree that hurricane season 06 should be something to watch in the Gulf Coast - I wonder if mid-term Elections will be too?

12. pdham macrumors member

\

While all the things Ugg mentioned are contriubuting factors, one of the biggest factors is a concious decision by the rebuild New Orleans comission to try and limit the amount of permits given until neighborhood planning committies meet and are able to craft a long term plan. For example, they could issue permits in neihborhood X only later to have the planning committee decide that the low lying land in that neighborhood is going to be reclaimed as green space. You can see that any premature permit allowance could cause problems later. That is not to say that people are being allowed to rebuild in some areas. If people are interested I will try and track down the ppt for the Rebuild Katrina commission.

paul