Shuffle 2G ever coming?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Caitlyn, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Hey guys!
    I am thinking about picking up either a 1GB Nano (Used) or a 1GB iPod Shuffle from Apple just to use during my daily jogs being that I'm not sure I feel comfortable running with my new iPod 5G. So, I was wondering if anyone thinks there is even going to be a 2G iPod Shuffle? Because if there is I'd be willing to wait and pick one up. Just curious. Thanks!
    -Cait

2. JimmyB248 macrumors regular

Would you sell your 5g for it? If not then I don't see why there's any reason you'd like to wait for a 2g Shuffle, it may have a little more space but when it's just a secondary iPod and it's only being used for daily jogs I think it gives you everything you need. I got one a couple days ago, loaded on a running playlist and away I go. I've actually found I tend not to take my 5g with me anywhere much anymore unless I'm getting the train, as the video is so useful.

3. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only reason I was thinking of a 2G Shuffle would be if maybe they added like a 2 line display or something like that. Cause the no screen thing kinda bugs me, but the size is unbeatable for jogging.

4. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i think the shuffle is going to be eol'd soon, and maybe replaced by something, but i doubt.

5. JimmyB248 macrumors regular

I thought that too with the introduction of the 1gb Nano, but using the Shuffle I've got now makes me realise how great it really is, unbeatable for jogging, maybe if they lowered the price by $20 or so, I think it's a great little device.

6. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i've never used one, but i have a friend who loves his.

7. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

i'm not sure, but i think they are already at least 2G; as the originals had only USB1.1 and the newer ones have 2.0. cheers

8. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Are you sure about that? Every review about the Shuffle on release states USB2.0, and I bought one (typically!) on release and it definitely transfered tunes at USB2 speeds.

Back onto a 2G Shuffle - I think the Shuffles popularity (particularly with the active crowd) would suggest it is worth keeping as part of the iPod line up, and a new form factor Shuffle would be in the works. We keep seeing rumours about new suppliers of the audio chips and flash supplies for the Shuffle (admittedly, some in Page 2 rumours) but there can't be smoke without fire...

:EDIT: The Shuffle has definitely always been USB2.0, so it is still a 1G incarnation.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Sorry, you're incorrect. The shuffle has always been USB 2.0. The shuffle has quite slow write speeds because the write speed of the NAND flash memory used within it is slow, not due to the speed of the connection. The nano uses newer flash memory with a read/write speed similar to the hard drive used in the iPod mini hence the quicker transfer rates. The only USB 1.1 iTunes devices are the Motorola phones (E1, L7 and V3i). The shuffle has always been USB 2.0

10. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

OK, sorry, I thought when the 2G minis came out, that I also remembered they upgraded the Shuffles [somehow...] to 2.0, but I see it's not like that...

PS, i doubt however that they will be given displays