shuffle and disk mode

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by don725, Mar 26, 2005.

1. don725 macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2005
    so is anybody else having trouble accessing the shuffle's hd through windows machines? My primary computer is a mac. I would like to open up/edit my files at school.
  2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    I have not used a windows PC in like 5-7 months so i would not know :)
  3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    Then why say anything? Thank you for adding nothing to this thread.

I got my aunt a shuffle and it works on her pc. I tranfered files to my iBook with it. Is you shuffle formatted in hfs+ or fat? If you want to use it in both pc's and mac's, you'll have to format it in fat.
  4. pwerMike_G4 macrumors newbie

Feb 23, 2005
    I have had problems connecting to a Windows machine with USB 1.0, but not 2.0.

edit: and i agree with the post above
  5. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

Dec 30, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I did no sort of formatting when I got my shuffle... just plugged it into my iMac and sync'd. When I went to school, the only problem I had with Windows was that one of the computers kept giving me BSOD when I plugged the shuffle in (I blame Windows, not the shuffle), but all the others worked great. No problems here.
  6. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    Not a shuffle owner but it's my understanding you have to predefine the amount of 'disk' space you want to use for Tunes vs data.
    If you want to use the shuffle on both win and X your only option is to format the data part as FAT.

my € 0.2
  7. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

Jan 24, 2005
    I had to transfer files with my shuffle to a pc at school and it showed up immediately (I'm surprised it didn't cause the entire network to crash and be deleted). Then it was like "Do you want to play this in windoze media player?" and I'm like "Does anyone want to play anything in windoze media player?" and then it had it listed as a disk drive.