Shuffle error - orange and green blinking lights of death

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ~shar~, Sep 14, 2006.

1. ~shar~ macrumors newbie

I've been on the Apple forums after my Shuffle stopped working yesterday. It was fine in the morning, then by afternoon when I tried to turn it on, I got the blinking lights. I have reset it, but because my MacBook no longer recognizes the Shuffle when I plug it in, there is no way to update it. I am going to try to run it through a disk utility program, and see if I can then restore/update/whatever. I am concerned though that this error is fatal and that this is the end of my beloved Shuffle. Anyone else have the same problem with theirs, and if so, how were you able to fix it? ( I should mention that it is now out of warranty)
    Cheers.

2. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

It is a fatal error I hate to say. Happened to mine recently but it was under warranty so they replaced it. I say go to apple and see what they can do for you. How out of warranty is it?

3. ~shar~ thread starter macrumors newbie

:flashing lights

I got it in April 2005, and so far am having no luck with using a disk utility. Someone over at the Apple forums helpfully advised to "give it a good whack", but I am hesitant to do that. Unfortunately my (small) city does not have an Apple store, there are retailers that sell Macs, but do not support or repair them. I have a few things I will try before giving up. I'm not sure that I want to buy another Shuffle because of this, but until now, I have had great luck with it.

4. way2l84sanity macrumors member

Me Too!!

I just updated to itunes 7 and ~poof~ blinking lights of death. It is not recognized on any of my computers (all have been updated:( ) not even in disc utility. i looked in some of the apple support forums and it seems this might have something to do with the update. Has anyone else heard anything like this? Luckily mine is still under warrenty so I am hoping it will be replaced if it can't be fixed. It was suggested that if you can go back to itunes 6 the problem will resolve. I don't know if I am wanting to go through all that. I hope you can get yours straightened out. In my house we have 3 shuffles, 1 nano, and one of the new 80g ipods, none of the others seem to be affected yet.. I will post an update if Apple can help me.

5. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

My iPod did this once when my friends were playing with it, it got some sort of IO error. Next day it was fixed??? IDK, it just was!