Shuffle or 30gb iPod?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dagless, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hah, yea it's a silly title alright.

Basically I'm using my iPod Mini now. 6gb. Compared to 18gb of music on my iTunes library (not even counting the EyeTV recordings I have). The battery on my Mini is fine still, even though I bought it as soon as the Apple Store reopened after the announcement.

Now.

I was thinking about getting either the Shuffle or the 30gb iPod.
    The Shuffle because it's friggin tiny, I can just clip it on and go for a run or walk up on the moors with my fave songs on. and not get too worried if the thing breaks on me.
    This way I can keep my reliable mini that serves me perfectly well (short of the not too important storage space).

The iPod because it can hold every song I have, view video. Though I'm more interested to see where the iPod will go, what with the iPhone having that big display and all. Sorta worried that (just like a G5 computer) be buying into something as it's about to die out to make way for something truly beautiful.
    Could then sell on my Mini. So in the end I'll be spending the same amount for both MP3 players, about £50.

It's more what would you do than what should I do. Short of someone putting a gun to my head and making me buy one :p

so in summary, and IMO -
    Shuffle
    +
    Mini, stores fave tracks, light, durable, tough (seemingly)
    -
    lack of space
    iPod
    +
    Space, video options, replaces old iPod
    -
    More delicate, probably wouldn't use for running (HDD), size

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

*I* would go for the Shuffle 100%, as I've already done. I went from a first gen Mini to a first gen Shuffle, and couldn't be happier. Personally, I didn't need the space — the 1GB on the Shuffle is providing me with 10 hours of music (113 songs) with my current playlist.

Things I like about it:
    - Small!!!
    - excellent battery life, the battery doesn't run down if you don't use it
    - durable

Things that it doesn't have that would be nice:
    - Multiple playlists

This all applies to the new Shuffle too, plus it's even smaller.

3. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

go for the shuffle now then in the future go for the next ipod video

4. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I second this. You never know if Apple will use iPhone tech in the next non phone iPod.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

i would go for the shuffle.

There is also the option of having a nano, more space than the shuffle, better battery life (than the shuffle), slightly increased storage over your mini, no HDD so good for running. Cheaper than the full iPod.

i think the next iPod will be just like the iPod section of the iPhone.

6. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

maybe wait a month or two as long as the mini is still is working?

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd do the shuffle and keep the mini or do a nano and get rid of the mini.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'll join the Shuffle bandwagon. It's cheap, it's durable, it's useful... and, even if they come out with a new one next week, it's still great.

If you buy a 30GB iPod, though, and a 40GB widescreen comes out next week? You'll be hating life.

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea jsw, I bought my 15gb 3G iPod a month before the new 4G was launched... I felt really bad for that.

Nano's are out of the question I think. I'd never use the photo feature, and if I was to jump into display territory (away from the shuffles) then I'd much rather jump up to the full 30gb. I can get a 30gb for £140.

Sounds good for the Shuffle though! Between the 6gb Mini for the travelling and the Shuffle for working out, walking etc. I should be sorted.
    Whats the sound like on it? I'm not much of an audiophile but knowing it sounds great would be nice :)

edit: A friend has just told me to get a Creative Zen V. What's the word on them?

10. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If you plan to use it while doing something else, even just walking on the moors (how Wurthering Heights), definately the Shuffle.

11. adamyoshida macrumors regular

Wait for the update (I don't care what some people say, it's coming up real quick, I think) and then get the video.

Nothing beats having all of your stuff on the go - and I love it for watching television, too. I'll catch up on shows during my lunch at work.

12. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I also agree with this. You can get the shuffe and not break the bank, but if you get the iPod now and the 6th gen is released soon, saving up will be tougher

13. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea. I'm only a mere student and it was my 21st birthday (and Xmas) not so long ago so I can afford to get a few nice things. iPod being one.
    Just been searching around and found no good deals on the iPod, no shop sells them less than the Apple Store! I found that a little crazy.

14. adamyoshida macrumors regular

That's true of Apple stuff across the board.

The 5G refurbs are a good deal these days, so far as the Video ones go.

15. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Just to let you all know - I picked up the Shuffle today. I was actually blown away by the box! Strange as that might sound. Very small. Very nice. Plus my pops said he'd give me money towards a new iPod once they're out so long as I give him my Mini.

Just gotta memorise that silly LED card :D overall I'm very impressed with the size, the weight? Bloody hell, it's just nothing. Think this is the first MP3 player where I'll carry it around even if I don't play anything on it. Thanks Apple!