Shuffle reliable as flash drive?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by miloblithe, Mar 31, 2005.

1. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I was wondering how good the shuffle is as a flash drive. My wife is considering getting one based on the premise that it's not that much more than getting a flash drive. Has anyone had any problems transfering files back and forth between PC and macs? Basically, I'm wondering if the partition confuses any PCs, or if everything is all fine and good.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ive had no problems with my mac and the computers on campus here, been a piece of cake for me

3. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

I have had zero problems with my Macs. One windows computer I found in a lab at school gave me the BSOD upon inserting the shuffle as it tried to recognize the new hardware, but at least 3 others had no problems. I say go for it.

4. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

One minor annoyance is if you use it to listen to music AND as a flash drive and you plug it in a computer...iTunes starts up and asks if you want to link your shuffle to that computer's music library.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its an annoyance if that computer has iTunes, but its not hard to just click no, and then its over and done with, not that big of a hassle

the great thing about the shuffle though is that you can decide the exact amount of space that you want to dedicate to files and how much to music, and you can change this at anytime, its easy and convienent to me at least

6. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Well, if the computer is a few years old and takes forever to start a program (like my parents' computer running XP on 256 megs of RAM on a Celeron processor), the lag time is just frustrating.

But if you're working with faster computers then yeah, it's just a minor, minor annoyance.

wait...this just got me thinking. Isn't it annoying how windows handles external drives? It's so annoying to have to click on my documents and then bring down that bar on top and pick your drive. It's amazing how a mountable image on your desktop makes your life that much easier to deal with...

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

definitely agree with you there, its so much easier than going to find the drive yourself, or the disc, but then again its one of the perks of OSX ;)