Shuffles at Apple Stores!

Discussion in 'Community' started by jsw, Jan 17, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I just wanted to let others know that the Salem, NH Apple Store has (or at least had, an hour ago) 512MB iPod Shuffles in stock; I would assume that the same is true of other Apple Stores. I bought the first one - they shook my hand, took a picture (which, I'm sure and hope, will never see the light of day). One of the employees grumbled that they weren't supposed to go on sale until Saturday, but I care not. It's charging now.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Good for you!
    I was told Friday for the Apple Store at Lenox, but could be earlier I guess. I took my daughter there. She came home from college and wanted to get one. She ordered it instead.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

3. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Yeah, our Apple store got the 512 in on Friday...said they wouldn't get the Gig model until sometime this week

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

This is really bad news. I have darn little need for a shuffle, but really want to get one. There is an Apple Store I can easily pass by on my way home from work.

Do I have the willpower? :p

5. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

I almost waited on the 1GB model, but I'd told myself I was getting a Shuffle to replace my 512MB USB drive that my four year old had snapped and that I didn't need the 1GB - I mean, after all, I've got a 40GB iPod, so I'm mainly going to use this for file transfers and for keeping my current audiobook and/or a few random tunes handy.

Yeah, that's what I told myself. The truth is, they had the 512MB, they didn't have the 1GB, and, by they time I emerged from my feeding frenzy (eyes rolled back in head, credit card fell out of wallet), I was holding the 512MB version.

6. 3Memos macrumors 6502

I believe we get ourselves worked up more by visiting places like MR.

7. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Call and see if they have them before going in. Call 5 minutes before arriving, though, because, if you call an hour beforehand and they say they have a couple of them, you'll trip over yourself trying to get there early.

The real test of your willpower, of course, is whether you can buy one, bring it home, and decide you don't need it, then return it. So far, I've done that exactly once with an Apple Store purchase - VPC 7.

8. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

You got that right... now I want to buy five Mac minis and I have no idea why! ;)

Seriously, though, this site does contribute to my desire to buy stuff. I should stay away from here.

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

On my list of tech I want to buy, the shuffle is not really all that close to the top slot. I honestly believe I could go into the Store and check them out without even buying two, if I wasn't so busy avoiding the Apple Store to prevent the purchase of an iSight. I picked up Delicious Library (which is awesome, btw) as a means to keep a handle on my DVD's, CD's, books, and assorted console games, and now I want an iSight to use as a bar code reader to facilitate data entry.

And then there's that 1GB RAM I want for my PB, not that I would buy THAT at the Apple Store! :D

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I know what you mean. All this tech talk gets me fired up to buy stuff I don't really need.

I'm still working on a way to justify to my wife the need for a dual 2.5 PM and two 30" displays. I figure I have to convince myself first, though, if I expect to have a shot at selling that one. :rolleyes:

11. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I guess I am going to wait until I see one on the floor of the park around here :rolleyes:

12. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, that should be easy. It's pointless to just buy two 30" displays, so it would only make sense to get a dual 2.5 to go along with them.

13. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Back on the Shuffle topic:

I'm actually glad I got the 512MB. First, it saved me $50. Second, I only need 128MB or less for file transfers, so that's plenty of room for a day's worth of music. Third: song transfers are slooowwwww compared to Firewire. I expected faster, but some combination of USB 2 and the Shuffle make for some long update times - about 5 minutes to fill a 512 MB, 10 (presumably) for a 1GB. I'll allocate a smaller section for music, and then it'll fill in a couple of minutes, but be forewarned - ain't nuthin' like firewire iPod speeds.

14. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

If I succumb to the desire for a shuffle (steel yourself, man!), I'll go with the 512MB, too. No sense in having the extra storage when you already have an iPod. It would be nice to have something remarkably small and light for the summer, when there are fewer pockets in which to cram all the tech I find myself carrying. That lanyard is looking pretty spiffy. Hey, I just found a justification. Oh nooooooooooooo!!!

15. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Not only do you get the lanyard (hanging nicely around my neck now) to announce yourself as a rabid Apple fan, but you also get a set of headphones ($30 MSRP) and a free - FREE mind you - copy of iTunes. And... you get a free 13 song album to download off of iTMS. I haven't listened to it, and it might be worth what it cost, but, hey, it's an added bonus.

Attached Files:

16. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sound quality is excellent, BTW. Not excellent by audiophile my-headphones-cost-$5000 standards, but stunning for I-got-a-512MB-player-for-$99 standards. Sounds like my 40GB 4G iPod to me, so I suspect that better-than-standard headphones will improve the sound, but, honestly, it sounds fine to me.

Also, max volume is ear-splittingly loud. I didn't even get to the max before I had to reduce it to avoid hurting my ears and/or the phones.

17. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Thanks for helping me fight the urge to buy a shuffle. I'll never forget you for this, jsw.
    I believe I already have that free sampler, though. I stumbled across it last week on the iTMS. Can't say I've listened to it yet. I finished up The Life of Pi, and am now stuck on the Kansas compilation, Sail On. Ahhh, memories.

18. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

The only song on that list I know is Laura by the Scissor Sisters...and it is an excellent song IMO

19. roadapple macrumors regular

20. maya macrumors 68040

maya

1Gig shuffle here I come. :)

Thank you for the link. :)

21. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Cool. Thanks for the link. Another domino falls in the chain leading me inexorably to the Apple Store, to buy my iSight and/or iPod Shuffle.

22. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Awesome thanks!!!

Coupon on the way, which I will use towards my 1 gig shuffle! :D

23. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Thanks for the link - just completed it.

Crap, now I need to spend that $10 on a $100+ purchase. Hmmm....

24. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Nix the "/or".

25. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

How long do you think that will take using USB 1?