Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
I don't usually do this, but this is a buying advice forum.

I recently had a pair of Shure E2Cs that I purchased last summer go bad on me. The right earpiece was intermittent and I sent them in for repairs last wednesday with a copy of the receipt. This afternoon I got back a box with a brand new set, no questions asked.

I just want to say that I am thoroughly pleased with Shure's prompt customer service and that the E2Cs are fantastic pieces of equipment for the price (can be had for ? $60), are rock solid and sound great.

Anyone looking to upgrade their personal listening experience with higher-quality earbuds should seriously consider Shure. Just be willing to re-encode your library to 192kbs or greater... :)

</gush>

Diejws

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
Arkansas
The outter rubber on the wires on a pair of my E2Cs seemed to break/cut open somehow, and it left the inner wires exposed. I sent my pair back with payment info expecting it to not be covered by the warranty. I also sent a copy of my receipt, just in case, and had a new replacement pair back in a little over a week. Excellent service, if you ask me.

techster85

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Lubbock, TX
This summer our drummer's E5's did a similar thing, the right ear died on them. He sent them in and for 100 bucks, he got a BRAND NEW pair. He paid 350 for them originally 3 years ago on eBay, and now he has a brand new pair simply because the others crapped out from use. Shure was very helpful and had him a new pair in less than a week.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Interesting.

My e3c's left earbud housing just cracked, and the nozzle has seperated. I'm afraid of what might happen. I live about 45 minutes away from the Shure facility in Niles, IL...so my turnaround should be fast.

Policar, that is WAY too long. turnaround should have been 2 weeks at most. Have you called them?

techster85

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Lubbock, TX
Interesting.

My e3c's left earbud housing just cracked, and the nozzle has seperated. I'm afraid of what might happen. I live about 45 minutes away from the Shure facility in Niles, IL...so my turnaround should be fast.

Policar, that is WAY too long. turnaround should have been 2 weeks at most. Have you called them?

That TOTALLY happened to my E3's too!!!! I think it's a design flaw...I sold mine this summer to a guy and now I'm waiting for a new set of tour dates to decide if it's worth buying a pair of Westone's or E5's...

sine

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2006
Brooklyn NY
Shure is great!

I've had a pair of e5c headphones for two years now and cannot say enough good about them.

I too have a gushy pro-Shure customer service story to relate:

About a year ago I stepped on one of my earbuds (!), breaking off the little tube that extends beyond the body of the earpiece. Like a moron I tried to put it back together with superglue and ended up completely occluding the sound passageway -I couldn't hear anything out of it once I 'fixed' it.

I sent it to Shure expecting to pay $100 for them to be repaired.

Instead, within one week Shure sent me a brand new pair of e5cs free of charge!!!

Amazing!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I've broken 3 pairs of E3C's just from shoving them into my briefcase and Shure replaced each one of them. (I put them in the hard case now. :) )

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
A good friend of mine has had the same excellent experiences with shure customer service. Though, in his case, it's because his e2c's kept breaking in the same way from normal wear and tear. In each case they sent him replacements quickly with a minimum of hassle.

My e2c's haven't had any issues, but I have to admit that they're not the most comfortable for my somewhat small ears. Can anyone speak to the comfort of the e3c's over the e2c's? The e2c's sound great to me, the upgrade would be sheerly for increased comfort (or just less irritation) during long listening sessions.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
A good friend of mine has had the same excellent experiences with shure customer service. Though, in his case, it's because his e2c's kept breaking in the same way from normal wear and tear. In each case they sent him replacements quickly with a minimum of hassle.

My e2c's haven't had any issues, but I have to admit that they're not the most comfortable for my somewhat small ears. Can anyone speak to the comfort of the e3c's over the e2c's? The e2c's sound great to me, the upgrade would be sheerly for increased comfort (or just less irritation) during long listening sessions.

Let me tell you, the e3c's are far more comfortable, imho. I think the design is a little different. Plus, the e3c's just look way cooler! :D

raptor96

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2006
RI
Just thought I'd chip in too. I love my E2Cs but I just can't wear them for a long time because, being a student, no matter where I am I run into people I know and have to take them out to talk. I just don't think I can have in-ear phones.

That said I love the sound I just can't keep putting them in my ears. They make my high-quality music sound great and all my low quality music (non-CD rips) sound like crap but they're amazing to listen to and they really cocoon you out of the world.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
It's been over a month and they've also stopped responding to my emails now. This is pretty ridiculous; I spent a LOT on those e4cs.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
It's been over a month and they've also stopped responding to my emails now. This is pretty ridiculous; I spent a LOT on those e4cs.

Yeah, if absolutely everyone else has had stellar service, I'd say something is really wrong with your particular situation.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
Yeah, if absolutely everyone else has had stellar service, I'd say something is really wrong with your particular situation.

Whatever was wrong, they fixed it. A few days ago I got a surprisingly large and well-packed box with a brand new pair of e4cs in it. Not just the headphones: a full retail box, unopened, with the fit kit and whatever else in it. And the black one, too, just like I bought before. It took a week or two longer than I'd hoped, but I'm really impressed nonetheless.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
I hate to resurrect threads, but I finally got around to sending my e3c's in for warranty work. I sent them in Monday afternoon, they got there tuesday. They had a new pair shipped out on friday, and I got them today. So yeah, less than 7 days turnaround. Mind you, I'm 20 or so miles away from the Shure facility...but still. I am amazed at the customer service they offer. Don't be afraid to buy from them!

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
I think I've bent the cable of my E2c's a bit too much and now it's really hard to get sound out mainly because I have to flex the cord in all directions to get even one side audible. Do you think they will replace them? (They're under warranty and I live in Canada, where they recommend going to the place you bought them)

cynerjist

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
i have e3c's and love them.

i had buyer's remorse after almost spending retail for them. but after reading this thread, i now understand that i paid for my earphones and a few reckless persons replacement pairs. seriously, paper clips & super glue?? are you guys adults?:D

joking aside, these are great stories that reinforce my purchasing decision.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Glad to read these. I have a pair of e2's that are going back this week for the same right ear problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.