Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slavingia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
I've pretty much decided that I'm either getting the Shure's or the Etymotic's, and was wondering (from owners) which one is recommended more than the other?

Other options with the same average pricepoint ($75 around) are welcome as well.

UPDATE: The Sony MDR-EX81 earphones look really good as well, what are your opinions on those?

- Thanks, Sahil.

slabwax

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Hi,

I have not tried the Shure earphones. I do have two pair of the 6Is and I couldn't want any more for an Ipod.

Tibwolf

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2007
I also have 2 ER6-is, except that one of them is broken.

They are great headphones, but their build quality isn't the best.
Still, for the money, they are worth it.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
I have a pair of the Shure e2c's and they are amazing.
I couldn't ask for a better pair of headphones.

I've never tried the ER6i's before though. :)

slavingia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Ah, it seems they are both very good, awesome!

Anyone tried both and likes one better than the other?

ShanePod

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
Canada
I picked up a pair of E2c.

-Excellent for keeping the sound in and not out.
-They aren't are intense for bass, still decent (coming from someone who loves lots of bass)
-Clearest rich sound that i've ever used for earphones.
-Takes a little getting use to for figuring how to put them in right and what ear attachment to use. I personally have found the orange foam to best the best for noise cancelation from exterior sound. So its comfortable as wearing ear plugs.

If heavy bass isn't your top priority I'd definitely recommend the Shure E2c.

slavingia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm going with the Etymotic Er-6i's for now until I feel it's time to upgrade.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Hey- for all teh Shure owners in this thread- does anyone use these while jogging? I run on a treadmill at the gym, and I am looking for something that will stay in my ears. The regular earbuds that come with the ipod don't, even with the little foam covers. So I am looking to invest in somethign that does. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
A colleague of mine had the Etymotics and loved them. They looked fragile. Sure enough one of the earbuds went mute. So he rushed out to the Applestore and got a pair of E2cs. They look more solid. He hates them.

So that is scientific proof that Etymotics are better than E2cs.

Me? I'm happy enough with my Creative EP-630s.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Can anyone here comment on the use of any of these earphones specifically on how well they stay in while jogging?

El Cid

macrumors member
May 21, 2007
NOLA
UE headphones

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm going with the Etymotic Er-6i's for now until I feel it's time to upgrade.

I have had the E2cs and Ultimate Ears makes a better headphone. I got these about a month ago and I am quite happy. But keep in mind that headphone choice is not just a matter of comfort but can differ greatly from individual to individual.

These have 5 different fits and a nice metal carry case. Sound isolation is also quite good.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-Studio-Earphones-Black/dp/B000B5XU06/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-8129940-0969734?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1191130658&sr=8-1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.