Shure headphone users

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Jon'sLightBulbs, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

I just bought a new set of Shure E3c headphones and have noticed that only the yellow foam sleeves seem to conform to my ears enough to retain any bass.

I'm curious as to what sleeves you guys use: yellow foam, dark rubber, translucent rubber, or flanged/ribbed rubber (for her pleasure). Not interested in size (which never matters anyway!)

2. macten macrumors newbie

I bought the E2c while they were on sale at Apple during Black Friday and I am going to return them already. I tried the smallest size for each. The soft black fit the best, but still hurt. I also ended up buying/returning my Apple in-ear phones as well for the same reason.

I do have a pair of Sony MDR-EX51 that fits fine. The broke, so that is why I figured to replace them with the E2c's. Looks like I may buy another pair of the Sony's.

3. cwright macrumors 6502a

I have the Shure E2C's and love them. The foam sleeves do seem to fit best, but the rubber ones work fine for me too (I use the medium size, clear and dark versions fit about the same).

The foam ones wear out too fast, so once I'd used them up I just bought a 5-pack of the dark rubber sleeves.

4. Jon'sLightBulbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macten,

If your E2c's didn't come with yellow foam sleeves (you didn't mention them), pick up a pair. Just like earplugs, they compress to a very small size and expand to the contours of your own ears. They may be the solution to your smaller canals.:)

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you like the EX51 you will like the Sony EX71 better. Amazon has the EX71 at a good price.

6. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I use the dark rubber (the soft sleeves). I have no problem hearing the bass, but you do need to get a firm fit in the ears. Remember that these phones need a week or so "burn in" before they sound their best. The bass should be clear and defined, certainly not booming and muddy, like some cheaper in-ear types. Sony

7. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I use the small grey rubber sleeves. Never really liked the foam inserts, and bass with the grey inserts seems better than that with the translucent ones, but that may simply be because I get a better seal with them.

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I used the clear ones for a long time and they were fine.Then I switched to the grey ones and they're just as good but softer,a spot of olive oil occasionally is good for uh insertion.I believe the ribbed ones are the best but haven't got round to buying any.

9. skytown205 macrumors newbie

I just picked some up during Black Friday to replace a pair of the Apple In-Ear headphones I had, which didn't sound all that great and were constantly falling out of my ear no matter which sleeve I had on.

The e2cs are fantastic. Both the foam inserts and the largest soft, black rubber ones fit and sound great. In fact, the black ones can form such a perfect seal that if I'm walking my footsteps reverberate in my skull, no kidding. It's loud enough to be distracting. Anyone else have that problem?

Overall, though, they're great.