Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ezra923

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Why isn't Shure announcing wireless? I don't want to go back to wired headphones lol Shure headphones are amazing

Reactions: dotnet

Tokenfreak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I wish they would come out with a wireless set as they make some of the best wired headphones aroound.

Reactions: dotnet

widestload

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
manchester UK

Love my SE215s, but they've sadly gone unused since I got my 7+. As the cable can be removed from the ear bud, with what seems to be a fairly common connector in the earphone world, I wonder if a third party will come up with a neck strap which could be used with any earphones using that connector, making them wireless?

Beyond that I'm hoping Shure get some wireless versions out soon. In the mean time I have a cheap pair of Anker Wireless earphones, which are ok, but lacking compared to the Shures.

Reactions: Ezra923

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Love my SE215s, but they've sadly gone unused since I got my 7+. As the cable can be removed from the ear bud, with what seems to be a fairly common connector in the earphone world, I wonder if a third party will come up with a neck strap which could be used with any earphones using that connector, making them wireless?

Beyond that I'm hoping Shure get some wireless versions out soon. In the mean time I have a cheap pair of Anker Wireless earphones, which are ok, but lacking compared to the Shures.

I like the sound but they will not stay in my ears AND the wires are too heavy/bulky.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015

Westone has a bluetooth cable for MMCX connectors (used by Shure, Westone, and many others), but it's $150 and not particularly well-reviewed.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H3XS2ZQ

Fiio claims to be working on a cable, but it's not out yet. It will likely cost even more than the Westone.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/817539/tur...-into-hifi-bluetooth-headphones-fiio-btc-mmcx

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Agreed. SE215 is a fantastic earphone for the price. And the SE846 are simply divine. A pity neither will work without the adapter on the 7.

Ezra923

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Westone has a bluetooth cable for MMCX connectors (used by Shure, Westone, and many others), but it's $150 and not particularly well-reviewed.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H3XS2ZQ

Fiio claims to be working on a cable, but it's not out yet. It will likely cost even more than the Westone.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/817539/tur...-into-hifi-bluetooth-headphones-fiio-btc-mmcx

I hope Fiio does a great job! I am excited never thought something like this would even work

Agreed. SE215 is a fantastic earphone for the price. And the SE846 are simply divine. A pity neither will work without the adapter on the 7.

Fanta i may give those 846 a shot, how do they compare to the 215?

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Sound is such a personal preference, but I'll say overall the bass is definitely more prominent and visceral in the 846 -- the best I've ever heard/felt from an earphone. Thankfully, it's not flabby at all and the low-pass filter does an excellent job at keeping the low frequency from impinging on the mids/highs from the other drivers. Soundstage is more wide, although it doesn't compare to a good open-backed headphone of course. Both qualities are important to me since I listen to a lot of instrumental/classical. In addition, the ability to customize the sound with the nozzles does actually work.

Another thing is the impedance is very low, 9 ohm, so they are easily driven -- perhaps a bit too easily.

Whether they're worth the money is totally subjective. I think they were. Now, are they worth 10x more than the 215s? That's a harder question. I'm lucky to be able to enjoy both.
[doublepost=1477525684][/doublepost]Also, they are built well, but shure earphones usually are, from the 215 on up. Finally, while the 846s take the same earsleeves as the other earphones, they are larger, which may necessitate some tweaking with positioning in the ear and even which size/type sleeve for best use.

Ezra923

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Sound is such a personal preference, but I'll say overall the bass is definitely more prominent and visceral in the 846 -- the best I've ever heard/felt from an earphone. Thankfully, it's not flabby at all and the low-pass filter does an excellent job at keeping the low frequency from impinging on the mids/highs from the other drivers. Soundstage is more wide, although it doesn't compare to a good open-backed headphone of course. Both qualities are important to me since I listen to a lot of instrumental/classical. In addition, the ability to customize the sound with the nozzles does actually work.

Another thing is the impedance is very low, 9 ohm, so they are easily driven -- perhaps a bit too easily.

Whether they're worth the money is totally subjective. I think they were. Now, are they worth 10x more than the 215s? That's a harder question. I'm lucky to be able to enjoy both.
[doublepost=1477525684][/doublepost]Also, they are built well, but shure earphones usually are, from the 215 on up. Finally, while the 846s take the same earsleeves as the other earphones, they are larger, which may necessitate some tweaking with positioning in the ear and even which size/type sleeve for best use.
Thank you! Def ordering them. I'll just use the adapter and deal with wires for now

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Thank you! Def ordering them. I'll just use the adapter and deal with wires for now

Not that I'm advocating this, but as a counterpoint you could purchase the 535s, which are closer in sound to the 846s, and also pick up the Audeze Sines (which are really very good headphones) for the same price as one pair of 846s.

Ezra923

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Not that I'm advocating this, but as a counterpoint you could purchase the 535s, which are closer in sound to the 846s, and also pick up the Audeze Sines (which are really very good headphones) for the same price as one pair of 846s.
Thanks fanta I ordered the 846s to be picked up tomorrow at B&H yay!

Reactions: fanta88

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Thanks fanta I ordered the 846s to be picked up tomorrow at B&H yay!

Enjoy! If they do not come out with a Bluetooth option, I hope Shure (or even another manufacturer) releases a better lightning DAC for use with their ear/headphones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.