Shut Down Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ®îçhå®?, Mar 17, 2007.

1. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Hey guys,
    I am having a little trouble with my computer at the moment. Currently, if i press the power button on my MB, the window saying "shutdown, restart, cancel, logoff" does not come up. Secondly, if i go to shutdown in the Apple menu, nothing happens.
    I am not sure if i changed some settings but how do i get it back to normal??Thanks guys

2. Queso macrumors G4

What happens if you go to the Force Quit option and restart the Finder? Also, can you log out?

3. ®îçhå®? thread starter macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Yep. Both of those are fine. Do you know what it could be??

4. Queso macrumors G4

Not sure to be honest. Was it happening before the 10.4.9 update?

5. ®îçhå®? thread starter macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Yup. Is there a setting to turn it off and on??

6. Queso macrumors G4

There was one before in the Energy Saver Options panel, but you may need to reset your choices again if the machine isn't recognising your settings.

7. ®îçhå®? thread starter macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

OK. Is there any way to change it in 10.4.9 that you know of??

8. Queso macrumors G4

Well normally in OSX the preferences files get overwritten when you change something in the panel, but I have a feeling that the energy saver panel stores the preferences in hardware. In which case try ticking and unticking the box to see if the setting overwrites, then if that doesn't work try resetting the SMC

9. ®îçhå®? thread starter macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Right i have clisked the box thing and that has done nothing. I will do the SMC thing but not quite yet as i am in the middle of some realy important thing. I will let you know how it works out

10. ®îçhå®? thread starter macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Right that didnt work. I am not really sure if there is anything else that i can do now. Should i just take it to the genius bar??

11. Queso macrumors G4

I don't know whether anyone else here can help you, but I've found that sometimes the Intel and PowerPC versions of Tiger behave differently and I can't replicate this problem on my PowerPC machines. Maybe a trip to the Apple Store is the best course of action.

Sorry I couldn't help further.