shutdown issues and unexpected quits

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rey, Sep 11, 2003.

1. rey
    macrumors newbie

I have a few issues with a dual 1.25 tower that acts up occasionally. A few times I have had a dialogue box appear, that shuts everything else down, telling me I need to restart my computer. It is not a regular dialogue box, just a white square telling me to shut down. Also, it seems to be doing a lot of thrashing when nothing is being asked of it. A check of the logs reveals, among other things, this line: (in the console log) "Looking for devices matching vendor ID=1193 and product ID=8720"
    It is repeated, literally, over 50,000 times since Sept. 10th.
    Any ideas connections or ideas?

2. macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

The box you see on the screen telling you to restart is simply Jaguar's manifestation of a kernel panic.

The rest, I don't know.

I sort of preferred the old kernel panics... kind of neat to see those last few lines of Unix before everything came screeching to a halt.

3. macrumors newbie

i had this issue a few versions ago.

the problem was an usb-device (isdn-modem in my case) but everything went well since an update of osx.

also make sure you got the latest driver for all your stuff

cheers

4. macrumors regular

The first issue is a Kernel Panick. I had the same issues with the comp using up a lot of the CPU doing nothing. I was told to reset the PRAM and if that did not work I was told to reinstall the operating system (clean). After that it has been fine (so far!)

5. macrumors regular

Me Too

I also have a DP 1.25 and have had some similar issues.

I don't have a kernel panic on shut down, I get them on occasion waking from sleep. I updated USB drivers, have all the latest OS updates have even in the past done a clean install, but I can't seem to get rid of them. It crashes often enough to be annoying but not often enough that it's a problem.

Currently I have some issues with Mail and Safari, quitting on launch or not launching when I wake from sleep. I haven't tried resetting the PMU or zapping the pram for this current issue.

So I think I have some system cleaning to do, the usual repairing permissions hasn't helped on the last problem. I don't want to do a clean install, I'll wait until 10.3 comes out and then I'll do clean install.

fsck -y seems to be a magic bullet for things, but I don't know enough of the details of what it does or the "proper" way to execute it, so I am holding off till I do a little more reading. Anybody have a good link?

I love the DP 1.25 but my G3 Powerbook never crashed or kernel panicked with Jaguar. My 1.25 is not as stable, which is a drag... but it is an assload faster...

6. macrumors 65816

tomf87

I've seen both kernel panics in 10.2. We have a G3 B&W at work and it sometimes does the whole kernel panic where a bunch of code is shot across the screen.

7. macrumors newbie

vendor id 1193

I had same problem. Was caused by cannon scanner button manager. Run process viewer to find out exact filename of button manager then Go to /library/CFMsupport and move it out to a new folder named CFMsupport-disabled. My next restart took only 30 seconds, and havent had any unexpected quits yet

8. rey
    thread starter macrumors newbie

Button manager

thanks to J Marohl for figuring that one out for me ( or for having had the same problem). That was exactly it. So far, things seem to happen a bit more smoothly. But does everyone's console log fill up so quickly? Now there's a whole wack of other stuff, invalid windows, illegal arguments, (which I can't diagnose but can, I think, directly relate to software issues) and this odd one: iCal Helper[431] Launch of helper planned at : 09/16/03 14:26:46. I haven't used iCal for months, haven't even opened or clicked on it by accident.
    Maybe I should have waited for the G5.

Thanks again J.