Shutdown PROBLEM

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rcrockett, Dec 31, 2005.

1. rcrockett macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2005
    I have a PowerBook G4, Tiger/latest upgrade, that has decided for the last week that it doesn't want to shutdown normally... I have to use the power switch. Has anyone seen or heard of this problem? It sleeps, will not log off or shutdown properly.

Roy Crockett
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Did you repair permissions?

Try opening Activity Monitor and see what apps or processes are running, and if some misbehaving app is stalling sleep or shutdown.

You might also want to do a archive and install of Tiger, and keep your system free of haxies.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]
  3. rcrockett thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, I did repair permissions. You have given me some things to do... I'll work on the monitor and see what gives... if I'm stumped again, I'll archive and install Tiger. When you say archive, is there a program in Tiger to do that or should I look for something if it comes to that?

Thank you
  4. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    It's an option when you're doing an install of Tiger. (part of the Tiger installer)
  5. rcrockett thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2005
    Thanks, maybe one day I'll get up to speed with the Macs I have!
  6. aquajet macrumors 68020

Feb 12, 2005
    kiosk mode can prevent your computer from restarting or shutting down. Try typing this is the terminal and see if it restarts normally (btw, you'll need to input your password):

sudo shutdown -r now
  7. rcrockett thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2005

I removed the preferance and rebooted. It fixed the shutdown and restart problem. I'm new to the Mac so I can't explain why it fixed my shutdown and restart... Thanks to all that have helped.