shutdown with a remote?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lamerlizer, Jan 19, 2007.

1. lamerlizer macrumors regular

lamerlizer

hi guys, i want to know if there is any software that can configure my apple remote so that i could put my mac to sleep with it?

and i understand you can put your mac to sleep by holding the play button. would it take up alot of electricity? would it be a waste of energy? cause it would be nice if i could listen to my music till i sleep and i don't want to get out of my bed when i'm dozing off.

any help appreciated! :D

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

The sleep function is recommended if you use your laptop more once in two days. Although I do not know how much power it consumes, I prefer it, since it's faster than booting it all the time.

3. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Try Remote Buddy

With this app you can do almost anything with your Apple Remote. It is fantastic.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Sleep only powers the RAM, the sleep LED, and enough to the input devices so that you can wake it up.

5. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

You've already answered your question, hold down play/pause. I'm not sure about the MBPs, but my Powerbook could last for at least a week when it was asleep.

6. lamerlizer thread starter macrumors regular

lamerlizer

one week? wow thats quite a long time, which means.. low power comsumption!! thanks! :)

7. copanewbe macrumors member

Sleep or Scheduler

Yea, like it has been said, you should just probably just let your macbook sleep unless you're gonna be leaving it off for more than a few days.

Instead of using the remote, you can also make your mac sleep after being idle for a period of time in the System Preferences > Energy Saver. Also, you can schedule a shutdown or sleep at any time of the day/night in the same menu under "Schedule". I'm glad Apple gives us plenty of options.

8. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

i use iTunesShut

edit: oh and BTW remote buddy is awsome