Shutting down

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rye9, Jan 4, 2006.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Is it OK to never shut down an iBook (or any Mac for that matter)? I restart it about once a week because it becomes laggy after a couple of days so I run Yasu and restart it. But otherwise I let it sleep whenever it's not in use. So is this OK or "healthy" if it is never off? Also, what slows down a computer over the years?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's fine. Shutting down and then booting up actually wears out the componants faster.. supposedly.

3. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

So then restarting is bad?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I wouldn't say it's bad.. Restarting is unaviodable. It has to be done.

Shutting down (leaving off) and booting up supposedly wears out the componants faster than just leaving it on and sleeping/restarting. However, by the time the componants actually DID wear out, you'd be purchasing a G6 or whatever. In other words.. It'll take a loooong time.

I really wouldn't worry about it.

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I don't think it's any worse than sleeping/waking. In either case, the hard drives spin down and then back up, and parts temperature cycle. Anyway, my PowerBook is more than a year old, and the longest it's ever been completely shut down is 12 hours at the most. I only restart it when necessary because of a software install or update. Usually once ever 3 or 4 weeks it seems.