Shuttle Jogs/ Powermate

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Kingsnapped, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I'm looking for a cheap shuttle jog for FCE. Does anybody have impressions on the powermate? And will it be worth it to look into other (sub $100) jogs? Thanks!

PS... ordered today, 15"Albook on the way!!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My PowerMate works fine. The blue glow is cool, of course, and I programmed it to pulsate. But it doesn't have many functions: rotate, click, click and rotate, etc., but no other buttons. For video editing, I think you should consider an input device with more button combinations, like the Contour ShuttlePRO. However, I can't really recommend it since I've only played with one in an Apple Store. And it's $129, a bit over your budget.

4. legion macrumors 6502a

Re: Shuttle Jogs/ Powermate

For a cheap jog/shuttle look into the Contour Shuttle/Shuttle Pro. For video editing, it is more functional than the powermate (though, I'll agree the powermate is more aethetically pleasing)

The three issues I find with the powermate for editing is that (1) there is no feedback from the knob which is fairly important for stepping frames, etc. (the powermate glides smoothly and is an endless rotary), (2) the ergonomics of the device are not particularly friendly for extended use at any one sitting (fairly common with video ediitng), and (3) the number of "buttons" are limited and don't lend themselves to becoming an intuitive interface for editing (since it's a push down knob (different degress for different buttons) whereas the Contour has a series of buttons within reach that won't mess up where you've set the frame when you need to use them.

5. Kingsnapped thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Shuttle Express is looking pretty nice... two questions.

1. Nobody mentions tactile feedback in their reviews. Is it easy to go frame by frame?

2. I'm visiting the Milwaukee Apple store in a couple weeks. (At two hours from home, it's the closest one) Will they have one to play with, or would I need to order online with blind faith?

Thank you, as always.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I haven't used any of of the Countour's<sp?> devices (the Pro, express, or V2) but the biggest complaint I've seen in reviews is that the Pro (the original one) only came w/a 3ft USB cord. Now if that's the most common complaint you've put out a very good product. :)

If feedback was a problem I've sure someone would've mentioned it. I've probably read a dozen reviews for their products as well as asked around on editing forums and I've never heard a bad thing about them from people that have/do use them.

I take that back. I played w/a Shuttle Pro at my local Apple Store and, from what I remember, the job/shuttle worked nicely. It didn't feel exactly like the jog/shuttle on a deck, but it felt more "real" than I expected it to (if that makes sense).

Lethal