Shuttle Makes it Home Safely

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by gwuMACaddict, Aug 9, 2005.

1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

wOOt!

no links yet, just watched it on tv. but very good news indeed :D

edit: now with link!

2. masterapple04 macrumors regular

Good to see that this has finally happened. They needed a success to dispel their extreme caution. I don't want them to get sloppy, but I would like to see the shuttle launches to become ubiquitous again, as they were before Columbia.

Now all we need to do is go to the moon again... :cool:

3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I saw it live on nasa TV, cool, but had to wait a long for 30 seconds landing :( , oh, and with real player :mad: .

Welcome back discovery.

4. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Now you're gonna tell us that it already happened :rolleyes: ;) :D

5. masterapple04 macrumors regular

OK, I'll change that:

Now all we need to do is go to Mars... :cool:

6. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

ooopps! , ok, go to Mars. :)

What a nice flight should that be to the space...

7. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    watched the landing on nasatv, so glad they're down safe. the twin boom was kind of weak this time though.

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

As I'm listening to the radio for the news on the landing, I kept thinking about how sad it is that we're all on the edge of our seats hoping they make it in. Sure, space travel isn't a gimme, but it's sad that we need to be so relieved that they made it back safely.

I hope we can get to the point where this type of travel isn't so fraught with potential problems.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha, one flight in the shuttle and now we're thinking its going to help us get to Mars?

When they replace the shuttle, I'm hoping they make it a space craft that can get to a higher orbit than the current one. But regardless, NASA's talking 2015 for the replacement, so don't hold your breath on the manned mission to the moon or Mars....it won't happen until the Shuttle replacement is finished.

D

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Therein lies the real issue though; human error... something that we'll probably never be rid of because even if everything is mechanized/robotic-- ultimately, humans made those, too.

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

Are you following me? :eek: :D

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Sorry, OT

Hey! Not my fault... :( I go throught the "new posts" link and I go down the pages starting w/ page one... I guess we find the same threads to be interesting. I know, it's creepy anyway. :eek:

13. masterapple04 macrumors regular

I wasn't saying that it would help us get to Mars. It's just a hope of mine. I know the shuttle will never do it, and even its successor might not. I was just saying that it's too bad that the US space program is in the shape its in.

But I really would like to see people on Mars... :cool:

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

[OT]I'm just teasing, you know - it was just humorous that you replied right after me on three different threads :p [/OT]

15. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Glad to see that the Shuttle made it in safely and all the crew are alright, but shouldn't they maybe be doing this landing during the, well, I don't know, daylight hours? :confused:

16. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

we even had live feeds of the successful landing over here (Australia).
    Tis very good news - though shame for those involved it landed in California -with so many friends and families over in Florida.

17. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Engineers' options for when the Shuttle can drop out of its orbit and re-enter the Earth's atmosphere aren't quite as arbitrary as, say, your options for what time to head out to the grocery store for more Cheetos. (About thirteen years ago, when I was in the midst of Astrodynamics coursework and still knew a little about Aerospace Engineering, I probably could have explained it to you.)

18. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

19. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

The xenon spotlights they used on the runway put the Luxor light to shame. :)

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Seriously?! That's crazy! I heard you can see the Luxor light from the moon-- hehe, then it would make sense that the runway lights were brighter, huh? :p

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Not for much longer. Robots with the ability to redesign themselves and new robots are on the way ;)

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

*snort* HAH! That's hillarious... not for much longer... ;) That's why we're all so obsessed w/ a "silly" mouse update, huh? :p

23. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Just found this (somewhat related, but not really ;)): Link to the speach that Nixon was to give to the country if the moon mission failed. Pretty creepy.

24. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Those pieces of paper are incredibly sad. I cannot imagine what it'd be like to deliver those speeches.

I'm glad the Discovery came in safely after the delay on Monday morning. NASA's credibility is getting stronger with each of these missions.
    -Chase

25. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Glad they are home but now its going to cost us a million bucks to fly the pork barrell never takes off on schedule shuttle back to Florida for some more pork. Shuttle has so many things to go wrong its amazing they all had not blown up. Replace the PIG with something that works. Couldnt even land in Florida. This complex monstrosity did prove that no matter how many billions you throw at shuttle in the end its still just a shuttle.