Sibelius PDF export possible?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by janey, Nov 20, 2007.

1. macrumors 603

janey

Heyas all! I'm not sure this is the right forum to post my question in, but there seem to be enough people mentioning having used Sibelius here that someone might know the answer to my dilemma.

In short, I'd like to export all my Sibelius stuff to PDF. I looked at the File > Export > Graphics... option which gives me even the option of a .bmp (!), to doing Print > PDF > Save as PDF which comes out looking awful. I'm also aware of some pretty hackish ways to get the result I want, but I'm looking for a fairly simple tool, i.e. .sib -> one .pdf with multiple pages with one click.

I noted Sibelius exports in a gazillion different eps options and Preview neatly converts them all to pdf, but it's sort of a hassle to convert them and have like 15 separate pdfs to join together..

2. macrumors 601

zimv20

hm, I've had good results with print/save as pdf. If you'd like, once I'm home, I can provide a sample.

3. macrumors 6502

I just tried with Print > Save as PDF.
    When you open it with Prievew, it looks ugly if you are looking at the whole page, but if you zoom in everything shows up nice and clear. Not sure if this is the issue you are having though...

Attached Files:

4. macrumors 68000

Loge

The Save To PDF option in Sibelius 4 and above does not work properly, and produces blocky looking PDFs (at least on the screen).

There is an easy workaround. Use the Save to PostScript option to produce a PostScript file, and then open that in preview which will convert it into a PDF. These PDFs look fine.

5. macrumors 601

zimv20

i had no issues with that in 4 and have none in 5. fwiw.

6. thread starter macrumors 603

janey

That's pretty much the problem I ran into. I zoomed in and it was still blocky and weird - if you zoom in a lot, the notes look fairly nice and clear, but things like wedge shaped crescendo markings don't look as nice, for example:
    [​IMG]
    when using the "Save as PDF" option, and...
    [​IMG]
    the same marking when using any other export option - whoops zoomed in too much on the second pic :D

In contrast, the PostScript stuff Sibelius does export, when converted to PDF, looks fantastic.

Argh. I saw the PostScript options in Sibelius export (I'm using 5), but not the PostScript option in Print. It works fantastically, thanks, it's exactly what I was looking for :D

If you look above at the sample, I do run into a couple issues. And this is the "Save as PDF" option that's in the print dialog, nothing in Sibelius.